S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Slotted Rotors: Powerslot or Stoptech?

Old 08-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while their marketing people might say that helps. I call on them

how many times have you driven a disc braked car in the rain and thought "damn my brakes aren't working"? If you have any feeling of whats going on with the car you'll lock the tires up way before you get to the point of brake fade/slipage.

If we've talking about drum brakes then they are more prone to watre.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Aug 23 2004, 05:04 PM
while their marketing people might say that helps. I call on them

how many times have you driven a disc braked car in the rain and thought "damn my brakes aren't working"? If you have any feeling of whats going on with the car you'll lock the tires up way before you get to the point of brake fade/slipage.

If we've talking about drum brakes then they are more prone to watre.
heh, beats me. I know that's what they told me at the Love Mercedes Tour, right before I flogged the crap out of an S500 around the AutoX course...

Honestly, I thought they were on crack but couldn't think of what else they could really help with! not enough of them to really help gas escape... beats me.

Maybe mercedes just decided that they needed to sell more front brake pads.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a question. What is water doing on your rotor in the first place?

If the pads are dragging to remove water on the new S-Class, then why would they need the holes? Oh wait, they don't. Its for appearance and nothing else.

Why in the world are some people attached to the idea that holes or slots in your rotor offer a benefit?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for releasing gasses, a mechanic for a professional bike race team said they routunely cut grooves in the pads. Same reason for the Cobalts and other pads to come with the groove down the middle I guess. So seems to be no need to mess with the rotors and lose mass.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Aug 23 2004, 05:21 PM

If the pads are dragging to remove water on the new S-Class, then why would they need the holes? Oh wait, they don't. Its for appearance and nothing else.

Why in the world are some people attached to the idea that holes or slots in your rotor offer a benefit?
Beats me. You know, the holes are kinda ugly, they definitely aren't for show.

Actually both significantly increase the inital bite of garden variety street pads. It's possible it was done merely for feeling.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:47 PM

They may not be for show in terms of attractiveness, but it gives them another bit to spin a marketing story around. Like most new features on cars, they are discovered/created in a search for a marketing edge, not necessarily a performance or other reason.... like voice alerts was years ago. MB can say they have it and BMW doesn't.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Aug 23 2004, 05:21 PM
Fording creeks? I've done that with my CRX, but ...

Brake ducting could dump water onto your rotors in a really heavy rain, but normally my unducted rotors stay nice and dry even in a substantial rainstorm.

My track pads come with a single slot down the middle, which I assume is for gas/dust escape. I guess it could also be a wear indicator as well, since it's not quite full depth.

Time to install the cross-drilled brake lines next. http://www.kalecoauto.com/perf.htm
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Old 08-23-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 23 2004, 08:23 PM
Time to install the cross-drilled brake lines next. http://www.kalecoauto.com/perf.htm
I wanna order the heavy duty piston return springs

You have a phone# so i can place an order?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Aug 23 2004, 07:47 PM
They may not be for show in terms of attractiveness, but it gives them another bit to spin a marketing story around. Like most new features on cars, they are discovered/created in a search for a marketing edge, not necessarily a performance or other reason.... like voice alerts was years ago. MB can say they have it and BMW doesn't.
heh on the other hand, mercedes Benz puts nice fixed 4 piston calipers on lots of their cars but BMW makes due with sliding single pistons...

Quick Reply: Slotted Rotors: Powerslot or Stoptech?