S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Single vs Dual Exhaust

Old 05-18-2001, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this has been beat to death in various threads but I'll ask it again anyway! I am framing the question a bit differntly though.

If cosmetics and cost were not an issue would you run a single or dual exhaust setup in AutoX?

I'm still debating about which way to go. I don't really care about the cosmetic issue of the single tip looking funny so lets not go there. I'm just interested in the optimum set up. I'm familiar with all the various manufacturers to so lets not make this a manufacturers war! I'm finding that the more I AutoX the car the less I drive it during the week so sound is not a huge issue either.

I know there are a few of you running singlesand several running duals. Any feedback about why you picked your particular setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2001, 11:32 PM
j2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I've got a custom made single... for the very reason that it just plain makes more sense. You gain nothing from dual mufflers other than quietness and looks... neither of which will make you faster. People brag that the Mugen exhaust weighs 20lbs less than stock... well my exhaust weighs 20lbs less than the Mugen system!
Old 05-19-2001, 06:17 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jason,

Hawkins was telling me about your exhaust. He thinks I should do something like it. Would you mind telling us a little more about it.
Old 05-19-2001, 06:55 AM

Jason-

I new you ran a single but wasn't aware that it was custom. I've been thinking about the Spoon. Seems to be reasonably priced (in the world of stook exhausts) ..... nearly half the Mugen setup ..... but the custom might just be the ticket. Tell us more, if you don't mind giving away some of your "racing secrets".

CG-

Maybe we could talk his fabricator into building a couple more that is with Jasons approval of course!!

Thanks

[Edited by Mack on 05-19-2001 at 08:01 AM]
Old 05-19-2001, 07:11 PM

But cosmetics and cost ARE issues! Seriously though, the single just makes sense. So Jason, I'll just be wrenching under you car for a few minutes at the next event...
Old 05-19-2001, 07:27 PM

OK I'll give you one of those. I'm not planning on spending 2000 bucks on an Amuse setup! But cosmetics.......hell I'd drive a dump truck out there if I was beatin' everyone! OK a really shiney yeller dump truck!
Old 05-20-2001, 07:46 PM

Sorry I'm late on this one... big weekend of racing - Kart enduro on Saturday and autocross today. Jason has very valid points, and believe me a custom single-exhaust crossed my mind. In fact, that's exactly what I wanted to do in my head when I first started planning the Mistress' setup... until I talked to Scott @ King. The Mugen exhaust was tested on the dyno for countless hours with one thing only in mind... increase the low-to-mid range power even at the expense of overall HP. And they accomplished this. Our car dyno'ed +7 lb. ft. at the wheels EVERYWHERE below VTEC, and only about +4 lb. ft. above that. We've got the curves somewhere, Brad can you post them?

Bottom line? Yes we paid allot for our exhaust, yes it's very quiet for a race car - but it gives us a benefit where the autocross car needs it most. Especially one as torque-deficient as ours. Is 7 lb. ft. going to win us any races? No. But at least I have the peace of mind to konow that we've added some torque to the torqueless wonder. I'd be willing to wager that Jason's custom single either sacrifices torque or shows a marginal improvement. Some dyno numbers would be sweet! (hint hint, Jason!)
Old 05-21-2001, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by Jason Saini
We've got the curves somewhere, Brad can you post them?
Here's our dyno comparison. The green line is the baseline of our car stock. The red/blue lines are the two pulls I did with the JR Filter and Mugen exhaust.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the input!

I didn't realize you guys spent any time below "6 grand"!

Mack
Over --->"6"<--- Racing wanabe
Old 05-21-2001, 06:09 AM

Oh a couple of more things.........

Wouldn't the weight savings of the single,Jason claims 20lbs., I'd call that significant, offset any small power gains with the duals? Also the single would have to make some power improvemnts too so the 7hp gain might actually be more like 3 or 4 hp in comparison.

Wouldn't removing some weight from the rear of the car aid in reducing the oversteer "problem"?

[Edited by Mack on 05-21-2001 at 07:14 AM]

Quick Reply: Single vs Dual Exhaust