S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Should we have an S2000 leaderboard of top 5 times per track?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Should we have an S2000 leaderboard of top 5 times per track?

We have a "post your best lap times" thread, but it's pretty hard to read through and a big range of times.

With regard to our previous data driven driver improvement discussion...

Was thinking maybe we could do an excel spreadsheet or thread of top 5 S2000 track times per track.
Maybe have different categories, street tire, R-comp, modified, etc.
Maybe also list track record for Spec Miata for reference.

Thoughts? Waste of time? Useful benchmark / goal?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would be useful - hardest part is finding someone to keep it updated. Are you volunteering?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea. But it gets complicated if you break it up by certain mods (i.e. FI, r-comps, aero). How would you categorize it?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Why not just have a list of each person's best time at a given track, along with a list of mods? That way people could just manage their own entries and compare against whoever they felt had a similar set of mods.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Very good idea! As long as there is a section for stock S2000s.

I was thinking of trying to put something like this together in spreadsheet form. But it would be great to just have a thread with a leader board for all the popular tracks and configurations.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Why not just have a list of each person's best time at a given track, along with a list of mods? That way people could just manage their own entries and compare against whoever they felt had a similar set of mods.
Because then it gets polluted with all kinds of junk like the current "post your best lap time" thread. Without direct comparison, you can't tell who has a good lap time vs who hacks it up. Personally, I'd want a thread like this to get a sense for how fast - fast is. Signal to noise again. I wouldn't want to wade through 20 mid-pack times to figure out what the theoretical fast S2000 time was.

It will never be an apples to apples comparison due to weather, conditions, etc. but ballpark would be nice.
We'd just have loose categories, it wouldn't be a straight up competition.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just have track name and top 5 times. Its up to you if you want to make it on the list. Car and owner can chime in on setup.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by DTP525
Just have track name and top 5 times. Its up to you if you want to make it on the list. Car and owner can chime in on setup.
I did want it to be a celebration of driving rather than an arms race though, should be some separation of gutted cars and FI cars or else the data gets dirty. Maybe top 3 times for stock ish street tire and full interior, maybe no FI times due to car variability, maybe separate section for full race prep (especially if in sanctioned classes).
Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
JJ7

How about street tire, r-comp and FI. Top 20 times with list of EVERY mod, including weight reduction. That way a mild set up with a fast driver can make the list for better reference.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about using a point system to divide the cars up in to STreet, Modified, Unlimited classes like in the S2000 Challenge?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=11&t=665071

I posted the 2009 one because it's a little more straightforward. THe newer point systems are pretty complex/involving. If you're only concerned about ballpark, then the points allocations for classes shouldn't be complicated.

I realize going with something like this could turn into a whole other debate about how accurate the points system is, but you'll probably run into some kind of dispute about how cars are classified regardless. This at least gives some basis as to how to classify cars and limit them to only 3 groups as opposed to the myriad of groups and sub groups you could possibly end up with.

The points list can always be tweaked too..doesn't have to be exactly like the on in the link. I personally would add another class for straight stock.

Quick Reply: Should we have an S2000 leaderboard of top 5 times per track?