S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Shaved RA-1's and Rain??

Old 04-15-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, you ever notice how convertibles are the last cars to get paired up with instructors? Who wants to ride with someone who may not know what they are doing and is in a convertible? Wish I had instructors like cthree to follow but it is always an instructor sitting next to me (not saying much either). I can barely ride along with my wife on an autoX , it freaks me out but is fun in the final analysis.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gfacter
Thanks Pete,

For the short trip to Summit Point, It sounds like I will be ok with the R-tires. For the overnight ones I will just have to use good judgement. I am hoping for a drought this year vs last.
I have not been signed off for Solo yet (its only a matter or time) so the passenger seat stays.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's how we do it with Motorcycles too...well duh.

Anyway when I first started track days, I was amazed how I was riding near my limit and holding on for dear life and the instructors is riding along in front and casually looking back at me.

The cars are pretty civilized compared to bike track days.

I can now ride in the open class which is basically race practice, with passing allowed anywhere, just no stuffing people in the corners.

George

Originally posted by cthree
Actually a lead-follow is much more effective IMHO. My students job is to stay on my bumper. this way I can control their speed and where they are on the track. We do this for about half the session then come in and download. As the day progresses I make more and more demands on the student most specifically about spacial awareness. They are required to memorize landmarks and clues at various places on the track.

In a passenger seat you can do very little but yell instructions which will tend to rattle or confuse them. On the track is not a great place to teach a lesson. You need to do that off track. Learn by doing and by example. Do what I do, pay attention, I will explain why later. By controlling pace I can reassure them that i will keep them out of trouble. They can concentrate on the track. i can speed it up or slow it down depending on how they are doing.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cthree
Actually a lead-follow is much more effective IMHO.
Doesn't this make the student focus on your bumper rather than looking up the road? I don't think this is a good thing.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:36 AM

This discussion is making me nervous, as I'll be instructing at Harry Cash's event at Mid-Ohio on Friday! I've not instructed before, but I guess I'm hoping that I'll get (i) a two-way radio setup so that my student can actually HEAR me and (ii) a student who recognizes that the only way to go fast is by learning the line and gradually building speed through the course. Hmm, maybe I'll have to beat on that lesson before we go out for the first session...

CB
Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix