S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SCCA Tracknight

Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TNiA is a ymmv. The self vetting for run group is definitely sketchy. There are some people who shouldn't have been allowed in 'Advanced' group. Soo far i've been lucky, no car to car contact and generally no traffic issues, unless someone's car vomitted on track and they merge run groups. *knock on wood*

It's good fun for a decent value, it's about the same $ per minute versus a normal DE group.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, the fact that they don't have instructors for novices is a little nuts, especially for absolute first timers. I agree with Tut that it sounds like an accident waiting to happen. It's one thing having a classroom session, and it's something else having another instructor looking out for you, and most importantly looking ahead for you and assisting newbies with managing traffic (even more experienced run groups people may take many turns for you to give you a point). On tracks with blind turns and novices, there's a lot that can go wrong, especially if some are aggressive..
Old 05-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't they have a pace car or something for the novices? I a very familiar with the track and signed up for intermediate. Hopefully people will be under control.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is highly recommended that all convertible vehicles be equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules. However, convertible vehicles may participate in Track Night events provided the vehicle meets at least on of the following criteria and is not subject to any of the below exceptions:

- The vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules.

- The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection (examples of manufacture documented roll over protection would include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frames and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.

- The Vehicle is a 2006-year model or newer.

Exceptions: In addition, vehicles that were manufactured since 2006 that fall into any of the below categories must meet the criteria stated above for factory or aftermarket roll over protection:

- Vehicles equipped with factory V8 or forced induction engine

- Vehicles modified meaningfully beyond the factory performance potential (examples: engine swaps, aftermarket forced induction)
Yeah, this was not the policy when I signed up. This was emailed to me with a message explaining this new policy. After finding some "documentation" online (Honda news release from 2000), we are good to go.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I did a TNiA last week. I was able to leave home at 2:30, start work early / leave work early = no time off, be on track by 4:20, no tech inspection for Int. and Adv. drivers (AS IT SHOULD BE).

I got 60 minutes (3x20) of track time and was home by 8PM. All for $125.

Novices did 4 "lead follow" laps, no instructors in the cars. Stock S2000s were allowed on track.

Will do again next month, it's close to home and it's cheap. In fact, I just got an email for another $25 off my next TNiA.

It's not for everyone but it works for me and it gets people out there with a minimal investment....... and a shit ton of risk but ......

The S2000 has
reinforced a-pillars specifically designed to provide rollover protection.

Hat tip to Goldenfri:

http://news.honda.co...=20010220001302

S2000 COCKPIT SAFETY SYSTEMS
The driver's and passenger's SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) both use a new compact airbag that fits the S2000's small steering wheel and instrument panel. An optional dealer-installed airbag on/off switch will be available, with government approval.

The lower anchor points for the S2000's 3-point, auto-locking seat belts are at the side sill and seat. The upper anchor bolts to a bracket mounted directly on the S2000's rollbars.

The S2000 body and the highly rigid high X-bone frame's central tunnel, straight front and rear side members, side sills and floor frame are designed to form a strong three-point support structure that distributes loads evenly. The resulting body structure boasts the rigidity and passenger protection of a closed-top vehicle in full-frontal and rear impacts. Head-injury protection is built into the interior, and side-impact protection is built into the doors, door pads, side sills and floor of the cockpit.

Even though open-topped cars are exempted, the S2000 meets the federal standard for occupant protection in a rollover accident. The driver's and passenger's roll bars are made of 1.5-inch diameter high-strength steel pipe with a .080-inch wall thickness, and tie directly into the frame. Additional protection is provided by reinforced door pillars, windshield posts and the windshield frame.

In addition, the S2000 incorporates pedestrian injury-reducing technology in the form of collapsible hood hinges and windshield-wiper pivots, designed to help minimize the chances of head injury to a pedestrian in a collision.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

OP, how was your TNiA?

Found this bit of info , a wrapup of last years TNiA:

2015 Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack With Impressive Results

TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 20, 2015) – The checkered flag has waved over the 2015 SCCA Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack, and the results are very encouraging for the Sports Car Club of America’s exploratory program.

From April to September in 2015, almost 4,200 thrill seekers ventured to nearly 90 events at more than 15 challenging race circuits around the United States to grab 500 on-track hours thanks to SCCA Track Night in America. More than 40 percent of participants registered as “Novice” for racetrack activities, and more than 60 percent were not members of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA).

Of the people that rolled on track for an evening, 44 percent were 35 years old or younger. Another 24 percent were between 36 and 50 years old, and 32 percent were above 51 years old. Overall, 95 percent of drivers were male.

As for vehicles, more than 50 different makes appeared at Track Night in America, including: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren, Maserati, MG, Tesla, Lamborghini and Austin-Healey. Of the nearly 3,700 different cars used during events, Mazdas and BMWs were seen most (13 percent each), followed by Chevrolets and Fords (11 percent each). Next were Porsches, Hondas and Subarus (7 percent each), with VWs and Scions (2 percent each) rounding out the top manufacturers utilized for Track Night festivities.

Dreamed up as an easy and inexpensive way for anyone who loves cars or motorsports to get on a real racecourse in their own vehicle, Track Night participants only needed to be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license and have access to a racing helmet and street car in good working condition. No previous on-track experience or SCCA membership was required to join in the fun. Entrants were divided into Novice, Intermediate or Advanced groups so on-track activities remained fun for all. The cost was never greater than $150 per entrant and granted three 20-minute sessions on track, as well as feedback from SCCA driver coaches on site.

Heyward Wagner, SCCA Director of Experiential Programs, was charged with bringing the Track Night program to life. He said the primary mission was to create a fun, safe track activity that flung open the gates of racing facilities and gave everyday people an inexpensive way to get on a real racecourse in their everyday cars. And it appears that goal was met and exceeded.

“The feedback we received this year was overwhelmingly positive from the thousands of adventurous souls that came out to play at SCCA Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack,” Wagner said. “We simply can’t thank enough all the racetracks that worked with us to make the program possible, as well as the essential support from Tire Rack, Grassroots Motorsports and the FIA Sport Grant Programme.”

Lisa Noble, SCCA President and CEO, echoed Wagner’s thoughts on the new program’s success.

“Track Night in America is an ambitious, innovative program for the Sports Car Club of America, and the Experiential Programs Department expertly delivered on the challenge,” Noble said. “A lot of thanks goes to SCCA members around the country that came forward to help with events in their Regions. Without their assistance, this program would not have been possible.”

“The SCCA is always looking for ways to share with others our passion for having fun with cars, and Track Night in America is a prized piece of the puzzle that accomplishes this mission,” Noble continued. “We’ll sit down over the next few weeks for a careful review of this year’s activities to better understand what we’ve learned, how we can do better, and how we can help build our Regions’ membership and programs through growing this new base of enthusiasts.”

The Sports Car Club of America, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 65,000-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both club and professional levels. It annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 115 Regions and professional subsidiary. More information about SCCA Track Night in America can be found at the Track Night in America press page, in the Track Night in America media kit, or at www.TrackNightInAmerica.com.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I went to one at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos, TX

We both are comfortable on track. I was nervous about how loose the organizers seemed to be... No instructors in the car, in any group, and the drivers decide what group they want to be in... yikes...

sure enough, a car in the 'intermediate' group absolutely did not belong there. Wouldn't point anybody by. My wife presented herself into the guys drivers side mirror to draw a point by in a passing zone... didn't get the point by. In the next turn, the guy inexplicably slammed on the brakes and crawled through a 60 mph turn at about 25 mph. She swerved to miss, had a big off, and damaged her car.

When she came in, the organizer told her he saw the whole thing, that "she took one for the team" to avoid a collision, and he would have a talk with the guy. He was bumped down to the slower group... turned out he had never been on a track before.

Yet here he is, in the intermediate group, with no instructor.

We won't be doing track night in america again. It's OBVIOUSLY marketed to newbies, which is fine... but then when the day comes they don't act like they were expecting a bunch of newbies.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyout
My wife and I went to one at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos, TX

We both are comfortable on track. I was nervous about how loose the organizers seemed to be... No instructors in the car, in any group, and the drivers decide what group they want to be in... yikes...

sure enough, a car in the 'intermediate' group absolutely did not belong there. Wouldn't point anybody by. My wife presented herself into the guys drivers side mirror to draw a point by in a passing zone... didn't get the point by. In the next turn, the guy inexplicably slammed on the brakes and crawled through a 60 mph turn at about 25 mph. She swerved to miss, had a big off, and damaged her car.

When she came in, the organizer told her he saw the whole thing, that "she took one for the team" to avoid a collision, and he would have a talk with the guy. He was bumped down to the slower group... turned out he had never been on a track before.

Yet here he is, in the intermediate group, with no instructor.

We won't be doing track night in america again. It's OBVIOUSLY marketed to newbies, which is fine... but then when the day comes they don't act like they were expecting a bunch of newbies.
Sounds like for a track night event she was following a little too closely - there are specific sections for passing, namely the straights. This isn't a track day event - it's a casual event where one can show up, drive on the track for a bit, then drive home. Perhaps a change in mindset is needed before attending, and remember, it's not a race and definitely not the place for attempting track records.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Sounds like for a track night event she was following a little too closely - there are specific sections for passing, namely the straights. This isn't a track day event - it's a casual event where one can show up, drive on the track for a bit, then drive home. Perhaps a change in mindset is needed before attending, and remember, it's not a race and definitely not the place for attempting track records.
Eh..? Sounds like you haven't been on track much. The name of the game when you want to pass someone is you stay ON their bumper. The closer the better. It doesn't sound like the guy intentionally hit his brakes to be an ass (like some would do on the street to tailgaters), but that's a BIG no no on track, and if someone did that to me that caused me damage you can be DAMN sure I'd walk over and talk to them in the pits afterwards.

This is some of the stupid sh*t that I'd be worried about as well with no instructors. My personal course of action would be to just avoid the car completely (as noobs are likely to do dumb/erattic things) as I care quite a bit about my car. Hopefully they consider adding instructors down the road, and all I'd say is for people to be extra cautious at these events.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1463421403' post='23968155
Eh..? Sounds like you haven't been on track much. The name of the game when you want to pass someone is you stay ON their bumper. The closer the better. It doesn't sound like the guy intentionally hit his brakes to be an ass (like some would do on the street to tailgaters), but that's a BIG no no on track, and if someone did that to me that caused me damage you can be DAMN sure I'd walk over and talk to them in the pits afterwards.

This is some of the stupid sh*t that I'd be worried about as well with no instructors. My personal course of action would be to just avoid the car completely (as noobs are likely to do dumb/erattic things) as I care quite a bit about my car. Hopefully they consider adding instructors down the road, and all I'd say is for people to be extra cautious at these events.
It sounds like you haven't been to a track night. Depending on the track, there are usually one or two passing areas. Novice has one and intermediate has two, and all are on a straight (only expert has open passing). There's no need to be so close to the car in front that if they brake from 60 MPH to 25MPH, which I am sure is an exaggeration, there should be plenty of space to go around them (leave enough space to pass, bro).

This isn't a game. It's a friendly environment and one should go in with that mindset, not the mindset that this is a typical HPDE.

Quick Reply: SCCA Tracknight