S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SCCA Tracknight

Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SCCA Tracknight

I signed up for what can best be described as 1/2 a track day. The SCCA has been doing an afternoon only HPDE for non-race cars. The rules seem very open, however after signing up I received a letter from SCCA that they changed their convertible policy. Now they strongly recommend an aftermarket roll bar. However after a back and forth I was told my near stock S2k will be good to go.

Hopefully the condensed format works. Its nice not to have to take a whole day off from work
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I did one in Palm beach. It was mostly newbies but a handful of advanced drivers. I got 3 full sessions in. It was great for me as I work a lot of weekends and have small kids so I left work a little early, we were live by 3:30 and done at 7:30.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I think for the $125 price it isn't a bad idea for more advanced drivers. I think the fact they let n00bs out with no instructor is dangerous, and I believe that one of these days one of them is going to get hurt very badly and possibly end the program.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
I think for the $125 price it isn't a bad idea for more advanced drivers. I think the fact they let n00bs out with no instructor is dangerous, and I believe that one of these days one of them is going to get hurt very badly and possibly end the program.
Woah.. they don't have instructors? I thought they did but maybe I'm wrong. I think having an instructor for novices is a must for many different reasons.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the fact they let n00bs out with no instructor is dangerous, and I believe that one of these days one of them is going to get hurt very badly and possibly end the program.
Yup
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why I haven't done one. Even though I have plenty of track time under my belt, I don't trust others out there
Old 05-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It is unbelievable how low the level of Reading Comprehension is for the population as a whole.

It is highly recommended that all convertible vehicles be equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules. However, convertible vehicles may participate in Track Night events provided the vehicle meets at least on of the following criteria and is not subject to any of the below exceptions:

- The vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules.

- The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection (examples of manufacture documented roll over protection would include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frames and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.

- The Vehicle is a 2006-year model or newer.

Exceptions: In addition, vehicles that were manufactured since 2006 that fall into any of the below categories must meet the criteria stated above for factory or aftermarket roll over protection:

- Vehicles equipped with factory V8 or forced induction engine

- Vehicles modified meaningfully beyond the factory performance potential (examples: engine swaps, aftermarket forced induction)
All NA S2000s meet the 2nd criteria and DBW AP2 and above meet the 2nd and 3rd criteria if neither type throws either exception.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyway, yes TNiA is basically half price of a regular trackday out here for half of the driving. But for me and my car for the moment, that is enough seat time for one day. Gives me enough data to know what to try next time out.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

SCCA Tracknight-ov74jrl.jpg
Old 05-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to most of the TNiA's at Atlanta Motorsports Park. It's always been a great atmosphere and a lot of fun. The beginner group is usually pretty packed and the intermediate has been filling up as it's gotten more popular. Traffic can be mitigated somewhat by getting to grid early and not getting stuck behind 100 Miatas. Alternatively, the advanced group has far fewer participants and just as often the Miatas there will be the ones passing you.

S2000's (NA or otherwise) with factory roll hoops should be fine as they have "factory installed roll over protection". As written, the exceptions bit only applies to convertibles manufactured since 2006 with no roll over protection (factory or otherwise) that are V8, FI, or otherwise modified. This appears to mean that the rules explicitly allow convertibles built after 2006 with small, NA engines to participate with _no_ roll over protection. Yikes! I have no idea why this is tolerated, honestly.

I digress. I have no desire to compete, I just occasionally want to legally drive fast for fun, and TNiA is perfect for that. There are no in-car instructors but the beginner group has coaching before and after each session and typically someone will give individual advice if they see a particular problem. Passing is point-by only in designated zones, and blue-and-yellow flags are generally used on folks not letting faster folks by (YMMV).

Quick Reply: SCCA Tracknight