S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SCCA S2000 Autocross FAQ

Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
I don't know what to tell you. I've had the opposite experience. Maybe you guys need more front spring?

Not at all. I was running 850lb/in springs when that happened. Again, it is pretty common knowledge on these cars that the rears will clear with the STR square setup and the fronts need the tabs rolled. So common that when you buy one and start reading aroudn to set it up you pretty much learn that right away.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by engifineer
Not at all. I was running 850lb/in springs when that happened. Again, it is pretty common knowledge on these cars that the rears will clear with the STR square setup and the fronts need the tabs rolled. So common that when you buy one and start reading aroudn to set it up you pretty much learn that right away.
I've been running STR S2000's for 10 years now but bro, I'm not the one here for a lesson.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to be clear I didn't go with the AEM intake I went with the Takeda Momentum Cold Air Intake System, so in theory it should be legal. Thanks for the tip on the driveshaft and bump steer adjusters I'll save the money Actually looks like Megan was the same unit as hardrace and available cheaper... I don't plan to run the car at national events, if I ever go that far I'll break out my DM exocet...
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tom9933
Actually looks like Megan was the same unit as hardrace and available cheaper...
Yes, megan = hardrace. The Megan Racing stuff is more accessible to us in the US.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to drive an evo and a subie at the local autocross 5 years ago. last weekend I went to the race and tried my sons AP1 S2k with Federal 959RSRR tires in the stock AP2 V1 wheels. It drives well except it had to stay in 1st gear for the power to be there on exit from the corners. What is the consensus on this do most of you keep it on 1st gear? Thanks,
Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd Thoughts?

That totally depends on the course. If you're hitting the rev limiter then you need to be in second. I usually do most AX courses in 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. With an AP1 you really do have to keep it above 6 grand. I upgraded to an AP2 motor, and it's quite a bit better for torque and the need to scream the RPMs isn't as intense.

That said, if the course you are doing is limited to about 45 MPH or less (because there are no straits long enough to bounce the rev limiter for more than 3 or 4 braps) then I think you can do it all in 1st and really benefit from the power. In first gear you'll have substantial torque to rotate the car around the cones really quickly.

Last edited by IanCrane; 09-17-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added a title
Old 09-18-2019, 04:00 AM

^ What Ian said. Depends on the course.

When I had my AP1 I was usually in 2nd, but we had some courses on the a smaller lot we ran where it just felt better to be in 1st.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K632
I used to drive an evo and a subie at the local autocross 5 years ago. last weekend I went to the race and tried my sons AP1 S2k with Federal 959RSRR tires in the stock AP2 V1 wheels. It drives well except it had to stay in 1st gear for the power to be there on exit from the corners. What is the consensus on this do most of you keep it on 1st gear? Thanks,
Sounds like VERY short and tight course design. I rarely use 1st gear unless a course designer puts in an extremely tight pin turn. For our local courses (And at nationals courses) I am in 2nd, up near the rev limiter a lot, sometimes even grabbing third gear if I am on the limiter a long time. As a rule of thumb by the way, if you are not going to be against the limiter for more than 2 seconds it generally is not worth shifting to the third and back to 2nd.

We used to have one site where courses were very tight and S2k drivers (I did not have one then) would stay in first a lot, but I really did not care for that site and having a 25 second course that was basically no faster than 30 mph so did not run there much. The sites we run at now allow for longer/faster courses.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:07 PM

The course that I ran last Sunday was in the rain and it was a 42 to 45 second course. My slowest section was at the slaloms..... I don't know if that was because I was in first gear or must be the driving skill not back siding the cones. The tight sections were better in first gear. It is a much nicer car to drive I like the over steer than the under steer.

Never had to do a course where I needed to be in first all the way until last Sunday. I was still 3 seconds of the pace of the fastest car a 2019 Honda Civic Si hatchback the one with the wings and Brembo brakes
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
For our local courses (And at nationals courses) I am in 2nd, up near the rev limiter a lot, sometimes even grabbing third gear if I am on the limiter a long time. As a rule of thumb by the way, if you are not going to be against the limiter for more than 2 seconds it generally is not worth shifting to the third and back to 2nd.

Being an Ap1 is it not bad for the intake valve keepers if I hit the rev limiter?

Quick Reply: SCCA S2000 Autocross FAQ