S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

San Diego Tour

Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, Scott drove amazingly well. The joke was that he was making a great case for keeping the C4's separate from the Z06's, huh? Also he was beating BSP straight up after day 1 and only a tenth or so behind after day 2, when AS was in heat 1, with the coolest & dirtiest course of the weekend. They were joking that they were going to check his genes for signs of alien life - similar to what you hear about Daddio! BTW Scott was on 710's and was swearing up & down the Victos were costing Ron at least a second per day in time.

One DEFINITE difference in watching the '00-'03 vs. '04 S2000's was counting the number of spins... the '04's definitely are in a different league there!

Get in touch with James about his impressions about the split compounds front to rear on his Boxster S. He admitted he was tentative on day 1 thinking the car would push badly (which was our fear) but he didn't have the big GT3 front bar - so he was able to go for it day 2.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Banannie
One DEFINITE difference in watching the '00-'03 vs. '04 S2000's was counting the number of spins...
Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Banannie
And Steve put in his first post that it "ends the debate" that the '04 is competitive in AS.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Steve, I totally understand what you're saying, but before I agree that the '04 is "competitive" in AS based on San Diego's results, I'd want to see more results on more "typical" courses (i.e. similar to nationals with more technical elements).

For example, the MR2 Spyder that won CS would have been third in AS ahead of the S2K and would have been one out of trophies in SS - does that mean the MR2 Spyder should also be in AS, or maybe even SS? After all, CS and AS ran in the same heat, so no course differences there. No, it doesn't belong there, and I know that's not what you mean.

Course dependent, there are a lot of cars that can run AS times (including the 00-03 S2K). That doesn't ALWAYS mean that it's a good fit.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 PM

I'm back now. I'll provide some commentary about the spins for the '00-'03 cars... at least the spins that happened in my car.

As most everybody in attendance knows, the car was very unhappy on Saturday. The short of it is that the car was misfiring in VTEC. Steve's spin was not related to car setup at all, it was directly related to the car's problems. Steve can expand on this if he cares. My spins were directly related to trying to maintain speed (since I wasn't going to get it back very easily under acceleration) and I overdrove some elements spinning the car. On Sunday, my spin was caused by just plain and simple poor driving. I drove the car off line and tried to turn off camber and in the marbles. Oops.

As for A Stock, I worked the timing box during heat 1 and I only knew the winner of one class. A Stock. Scott killed the class.

And for those who are curious, the local dealership has agreed to pick up our out of pocket costs for attempted car repairs in San Diego.

Andy H. <------ Happily driving a car with 4 firing cylinders again.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:15 AM

What was the cause of the misfiring?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:24 AM

A loose spark plug wire
Old 03-10-2004, 01:55 PM

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/album/view/16

For your viewing enjoyment, in-car video is up of mine and James' best Saturday runs. Unfortunately, I ran out of tape halfway through James' first Sunday run (his best). Sorry about the left-pointing camera angle. This is my first attempt at in-car video.

Thanks to JP for getting these put up. I hear GFV is really poorly put together
Old 03-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hmm, funny how technical difficulties can make only certain vids disappear at random
Old 03-10-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by payneinthe
A loose spark plug wire
More specifically, if you pull the smaller cover from the top of the valve cover, you'll find the ignition system. The black connector for the ignition system for #1 cylinder had not been properly secured at the last servicing and had rattled loose. This resulted in a misfire above 6500rpms but no check engine light.

Very frustrating.

Andy H.

Quick Reply: San Diego Tour