S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

San Diego Tour

Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As jzr reported on another thread, the courses were really fast. We went nowhere near first on the Saturday; third may have been an option, although I can
Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 AM

Random interesting note: Jason Saini correctly picked all five trophy winners, and only got one out of order: http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...092#post3389092.

Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great report Steve. Great job too considering the circumstances on Saturday, the class was certainly a tough one to trophy in and you beat quite a few people's predictions here

Did anyone mention who did the course? Last year's was actually kinda slow for SD, I'm guessing this one was quite different.

Also any comments on the S04s? I've heard two different people tell me that they have a temperature profile not unlike a Falken and that they just keep getting slower as they build heat- I wonder how the 2 driver cars felt about this.

Lastly I'm wondering if anyone noticed which wheels (OEM?) the McCombs' were on. I'm *this* close to an affordable solution (I'll post about it as soon as I know it fits) but I'm wondering about fender clearance with 275s and would love to know what offset they are running. I know I'm usually too busy on tour weekends to notice anything about other people's cars, so I thank you for the info on the tires and beyond that I might have to go try paging them on Evolution list or something.

Anyway, congrats to everyone- I really wish I could have been there!

Peter
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 AM

Results are available:

http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/nat_tour...go/sandiego.pdf

Even if I had been clean on my 2nd run on Sunday, I still would have been 4/100ths back of Steve there. He had an outstanding performance considering the car troubles.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 AM

We noticed the A3S04s get just a tad slippery on 3rd runs. Mitch sprayed his down before his 3rd run and dropped more than a second off his time. They definitely do like some heat, but there may be a limit.

On a counter-point, a fast SS vette driver claims the rumour of lack of heat tolerance is completely false. YMMV
Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PoweredByCamry
Did anyone mention who did the course?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM

Another small insignificant data point on the new tires: yesterday, James' fastest run was the first run of the day on the tires. Everything went downhill from there
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like a fun weekend. Every time I've gone to SD I've had fun, regardless of whether I did well or not.

If they were running stock rims, I doubt they'd use spacers for tire clearance. If you look at the S2k, it's got plenty of room on the suspension side. My concern for eventually using 275s is rubbing on the fender side, especially since the wheels I'm trying to get are -5 offset from stock all around. It's good to know that they crammed it in there somehow.

Peter
Old 03-08-2004, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PoweredByCamry
Did anyone mention who did the course?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why was Ron Bauer in a Boxster S? Where is their 04 s2k?

Quick Reply: San Diego Tour