S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 vs 944 Turbo

Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S2000 vs 944 Turbo

Hey-

I was just gifted a 1986 944 Turbo, and am planning on turning it into a track car. The car has been sitting for at least 7 years, so I've got a lot of work to do... I'm hoping to have it running this summer, and I'll prep it for the track next winter.

But...
since I've never driven a 944, much less a 951, I was wondering whether some people can weigh in on what I can expect, especially for autocrossing and tracking the car, with the S as the benchmark.

All the people on the Porsche Rennlist site keep talking about boosting. I'm wondering whether that's really all that more impressive than VTEC. The engine only does 6500 RPM, with 217 hp in a heavier car (at least until I take some weight out), so I'm really prepared to be unimpressed. But I wonder whether it the chassis is stiffer (not being a convertible), whether it handles as well or better, how it brakes, how the steering feels, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 951 is a tremendous track car for the money (which for you is even better since there was no initial cost involved). Weight distribution is nearly perfect out of the box. Tremendous dedicated track following with plenty of tech support and reasonably priced aftermarket parts. Lots of organizations out there with 944 series to run in. Relatively easy car to add power with preprogrammed chips and turbo modifications. Horsepower will not be an issue and the ZF transaxle is pretty beefy. Modded 951's could outrun my N/A 911 on the straights and hang with me in the turns all day long at VIR with the right driver. As far as handling is concerned the S2000 is hard to beat. You are comparing early 80's technology to what I think is the apex of current suspension technology. 951 is very neutral though and has less tendency to oversteer. Very stable through long sweeping turns. Brakes are relatively simple to upgrade on the 951 but the turbo capilers are really beefy, many pre 89 owners will upgrade to the 951 caliper. I think with simple cooling mods and good pads you would be very satisfied with stopping power.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It can still be a fun car. I am no expert, but I seriously doubt the chassis will be stiffer. The chassis of our car is VERY stiff and has many years of developement over the Porsche. I would love to turn that into a track car. Have fun with it and keep us informed on your progress.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

my uncle had one which absolutely ripped in the straights. With minor electronics and port work of the turbo etc he had about 480hp. those motors can really pump out the power when modded.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With minor electronics and port work of the turbo etc he had about 480hp

*cough*
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy to ask is PedalFaster (Steve). He had an S2000 and now campaigns a 944, albeit non-turbo.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no internal modifications where done to his 944 turbo. Only port work and eletronics. let me tell you that thing pinned you the seat something serious. Stock turbo, stock exhaust. etc.

I believe he topped it out at 186 mph. He freqented the local racetrack and had fun beating vipers on the straights.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got and '86 951 last year as a track/fun car. Handles well, but not as good as the S. It is well balanced and predictable. "minor electronics and port work" will not get you any where near 480hp. That would be more like 280hp. DME and KLR chips will get you to about 260 with very little effort. After that, $$$ and real effort are required.

Other than being well balanced and predictable there is nothing that I found "better" than on the S2000. Steering is slower, car is heavier, brakes are good. With both chips installed, it feels like it pulls harder than the S, but boost and VTEC are not the same anyway.

I like the 951, but I would sell it before I would sell my S2000.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

968 guys get really mad when you call their car a 944.

A few different thoughts in no particular order:

The 944's stock (even sport) suspension is extraordinarily soft compared to the S2000 or any modern sports car's. The amount of roll and pitch will amaze you at first -- the car reacts much more slowly than an S2000. Having said that, its behavior is very forgiving and predictable -- you can pull sideways stunts that would be foolhardy in an S2000.

I have no experience putting significantly stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars in a 944, but I imagine it would help.

The car's steering is very slow, which is doubly aggravating coming out of an S2000.

There's a saying -- 944 Turbos (951s) all cost $12k. You either buy a $12k car, or you buy a sub-$12k car and pay the difference fixing it. For this reason, don't get too excited about your "free" car. Working on the car is a royal pain; for example, replacing the clutch is a 23 hour job.

The stock car isn't particularly fast, but as is the case with most turbo cars, you can get a lot of power for not much money. My 951 was dramatically faster that my S2000 with only a wastegate, a chip, and a cat-back exhaust.

Porsches in general have a lot more brake than the S2000, which lets you get away with using streetable pads in situations where you'd need full race pads in the S2000.

There are good Porsche race / track forums at both rennlist.com and pelicanparts.com.

Bottom line: the 951 will make a great track car, but don't assume that you can do it on the cheap just because the car was free.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Jan 23 2007, 10:19 PM
no internal modifications where done to his 944 turbo. Only port work and eletronics. let me tell you that thing pinned you the seat something serious. Stock turbo, stock exhaust. etc.

I believe he topped it out at 186 mph. He freqented the local racetrack and had fun beating vipers on the straights.
I'm sure it's sweet but you specifically said 480HP with minor tuning work. I think you're either guessing or were told something you didn't question and repeated here. That much power from that engine would require major modifications, a complete rebuild, internals replacement, turbine, fuel delivery, the works.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs 944 Turbo