S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 tow hitch questions

Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Default S2000 tow hitch questions

Hi, I'm looking for some feedback that applies more towards using a hitch for my bike rack than for track tires or trailers, but this thread seems to have the people with hitches on their S's, so I figured I'd ask you guys and gals...

Search turns up a lot of old info, broken image links, and recommendations to get a hitch-type bike rack, but no recent recommendations or experiences, so I'm asking, can anyone here post pics, recommendations, and experiences of their bike hitches. The FAQ here is also pretty old and doesn't really talk to hitches for bikes, but then again, its not really covered anywhere.

I'm looking for something like this below but I'm not sure what type of hitch receiver I need put on my car, what works best, what to watch out for, etc. I read on these forums that some hitches will pull out of the trunk pan if they are bolted in, and require drilling holes in the car, and some hitches don't require drilling. Are there any you can install without pulling the rear bumper or is that a necessary step?

I've had trunk mounted racks, but I don't want to deal with marring my paint, denting my trunk lid, or having the bike hit the car.

What do I need to do to get a hitch? Any specific things to watch out for? Any best ideas? For the record, I'm looking for MY04+ ideas if it matters.

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 19 2006, 11:41 AM
Are there any you can install without pulling the rear bumper or is that a necessary step?

What do I need to do to get a hitch? Any specific things to watch out for? Any best ideas? For the record, I'm looking for MY04+ ideas if it matters.
If you are afraid to pull off the rear bumper, I'm not sure installing a hitch is really in the cards for you.

If Doug Chase is still selling them, that's the option I would (and did) choose. http://www.chaserace.com/ It's a 1-1/4 inch receiver tube, so choose your version of bike racks accordingly. The exact product you posted a picture of would not work.

Keep in mind that if anything happens to your car or your bike because you installed this hitch and chose to mount a bike carrier on it, it's your problem to deal with.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Da'Lan hitch on my car that I use frequently to take my bikes around. It does require drilling 4) 7/16 holes in the trunk, but in my opinion it is the only one I would trust with such an awkward, cantilevered load like a bike rack. Those things ain't light, and you add over 50lbs on there with 2 bikes it makes for some substantial forces exerted on the car.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 AM

That's my issue - bikes are akward in how they post off the car, so I'm looking for something thats possibly easily removable, but more so one that won't rip out my trunk pan!

Can I get a Da'Lan at pretty much any hitch place?

Is there anything I need to worry about when the car has a hitch? What about if I drop my car 1"?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 20 2006, 11:30 AM
That's my issue - bikes are akward in how they post off the car, so I'm looking for something thats possibly easily removable, but more so one that won't rip out my trunk pan!
Sounds like you want the Chase hitch, or something similar (Hammerly, if you can find one).

It's not the static loads that will be the problem with the trunk pan, it's the fatigue loads as the bikes bounce up and down.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My hitch receiver is a custom part welded to the bumper. Cheap, light, hidden, works. However, I only carry one bike at a time, the heaviest being less than 24 lbs.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Da'lan hitch I'll sell cheap. PM me.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the posts. While I usually carry only one bike at a time, I do need to carry two at times, so the one bike system won't work for me.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with DeLan, Thule makes a two bike hitch rack for 1&1/4" hitch recpticle that I use. Hammerelly is not in production at this time and would cost 2x's what cthree will sell you the DeLan for. Put in backing plates (big washers on both sides) where you drill thru the trunk since you will be carring 2 bikes to prevent pulling rack bolts thru the trunk lining.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Apr 23 2006, 07:58 AM
Hammerelly is not in production at this time and would cost 2x's what cthree will sell you the DeLan for.
As I already pointed out, Chase is making a Hammerly-style hitch which is very nice. Costs about $500. I just used mine this weekend for a 1700 mile round trip (garage to garage, so only about 1400 or so had the hitch installed).

Quick Reply: S2000 tow hitch questions