S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnionAG
dont try to set any records.... first pass just go 1/2 effort and finish the track...

Half the time guys who get fast and furious end up with a sweet DNF.

I like to record my runs on my iphone so i can watch the run as many times as necessary to memorize the course before my second run.
That's a damn good idea!!!! I can't believe I never thought of that!!!

My absolute biggest issue is memorizing the course. I know that's what the course walk is all about. I know that one of the purposes of "looking ahead" is becuause you don't know the course.

But I mean memorizing the course is a big big issue for me. I'll drop 5-10 seconds on a practice day by the end of the day because I'm finally getting the course. It literally takes me a half dozen runs just to feel somewhat comfortable.

Great idea!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc1
My absolute biggest issue is memorizing the course. I know that's what the course walk is all about. I know that one of the purposes of "looking ahead" is becuause you don't know the course.

But I mean memorizing the course is a big big issue for me. I'll drop 5-10 seconds on a practice day by the end of the day because I'm finally getting the course. It literally takes me a half dozen runs just to feel somewhat comfortable.
How many times do you walk the course in the morning?
The biggest problem I've seen is people walk the course once or twice, think they have it down, and then go sit in their cars. Their first run out they realize it looks really different at speed.

I typically walk the course more than I run it. I'm a walk it once just to get a general feeling, walk it again to start working on a line thru some of the obvious sections, walk it again focusing more on the line, and then walk it again to finalize the line. And if I have time, walk it again. And if I see some of the local hot shots walking and talking, I'll walk and talk with them.
*full disclosure: I'm young and run half-marathons (hopefully full soon), so I don't mind walking around a parking lot at 7-8 am.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I typically walk the course more than I run it. I'm a walk it once just to get a general feeling, walk it again to start working on a line thru some of the obvious sections, walk it again focusing more on the line, and then walk it again to finalize the line. And if I have time, walk it again. And if I see some of the local hot shots walking and talking, I'll walk and talk with them.
*full disclosure: I'm young and run half-marathons (hopefully full soon), so I don't mind walking around a parking lot at 7-8 am.
I'm an old guy, almost 50 . I follow the same routine as you. In addition, I'll stop near the finish line, close my eyes and run the course in my head. If I can visualize it, I'm good to go, if I can't, I walk again. I try to break the course down to about 10 key points that are easy to remember.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I usually walk it twice in the morning and twice at lunch. I know I should do it more. But I've definitely have a problem getting it into my brain so that it makes sense when I first drive it. At my last event I tried drawing a map to study, but my artistic skills are terrible. They had a map at the registration table, but it was the first time I've looked at a map drawn by the course designer, so I wan't familiar with all the symbols and markings.

I think watching a video I've recorded will be invaluble, and next time I'm gonna print out a Google Earth map and draw the course over it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
. . . I'll stop near the finish line, close my eyes and run the course in my head. If I can visualize it, I'm good to go, if I can't, I walk again. . . .
Great litmus test!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
It has been over a week. Any news from the OP? How'd it go?

I apologize for not being apart of this thread since I started the whole thing! Well..truth be told I could not go. Not that I didn't want to, but I was called into work (I work at a hospital) and I guess I had bigger fish to fry dealing with patients and all. BUT I am 100% going this Saturday the 27th NO EXCUSES! This is my weekend off and I even requested it off and told the scheduler to not put me down even on call.

To make up for my inactivity, I decided to try to make it up to you guys and give something back with all the great suggestions and tips from you pros! I'll be video recording my runs with a digi cam (just bought the mount). Hopefully it complies with rules/regs that it is in there. So then you can see for yourselves how good (or bad) I do! Thanks again and I do apologize for not updating you guys.

BTW whoever posted on me coming from a 160hp Del sol, to now a S2000, well it was the SOHC D16 motor...so it's more like coming from 120 hp to the S2k. Hahaha...I can't wait.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't see an issue in at least equalizing tire pressure. I don't think you need to buy anything for an autocross other than water, sunblock, and snacks. I do think you should pay some attention to detail on the car and at least set it up with some common sense. Driving a car for handling and not knowing what tire pressure you are running is a little careless and ignorant. The same goes for not checking over your suspension components for signs of wear and checking the big ticket mounting bolts for proper torque.

Check things that could result in failures/crashes/damage/injury.
Check and fix things that are free and fall into common sense (Oil level/tire pressure/remove anything from the car that is just extra weight)
Stay healthy with water and good snacks
Leave the car alone unless something breaks/will results in a failure/is unsafe.