S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffjanzen
Originally Posted by aCab' timestamp='1313133401' post='20871032
Don't worry about the small stuff, just go out there and focus on the task at hand
Best advice in this thread yet.
Agreed. Ignore the people telling you to adjust, or worse, buy equipment -- just show up, drive what you've got, and seek out and listen to help from more experienced drivers.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by jeffjanzen' timestamp='1313156274' post='20871459
[quote name='aCab' timestamp='1313133401' post='20871032']
Don't worry about the small stuff, just go out there and focus on the task at hand
Best advice in this thread yet.
Agreed. Ignore the people telling you to adjust, or worse, buy equipment -- just show up, drive what you've got, and seek out and listen to help from more experienced drivers.
[/quote]

Yep.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
take it easy - i wasn't suggesting you're saying wrong things.
it's just interesting to see that our local organizations demand opposite thing from USA.
frankly i'm surprised that our "misters safety" require us to do things opposite to SCCA rules.
Didn't meant to come off as upset or anything, Sorry if I did. Just giving more details on the reasons for my statement so people can see why I said what I said. The bit at the end about not saying your necessarily wrong was meant to show that I was simply supporting my opinion and not meaning to attack you... Again, sorry if it came across wrong.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no problem man
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good advice. I've been doing it in an S2000 since June 2004, not too many cars out there that are better.

My advice would be to make sure you are close enough to the steering wheel so your elbows are bent. I see many novices trying to drive with straight arms. Straight arms make it difficult to control your steering inputs. Check by putting your arms out straight over the wheel with your back against the seat. Your wrists should be at least three or four inches beyond the steering wheel. If you have really long legs be careful of interference of your knees with steering.

EDIT: Don't forget you can tilt the seat back forward to help adjust getting your arms bent the right way.

The benefit will be more leverage on the wheel allowing more positive control of your steering input. For me this is step #1 for a novice when they get in the car.

Have fun!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Lots of great advice... I suggest that besides starting off with a healthy car, the nut behind the wheel is the biggest thing to worry about. Focus on you driving your car the way it is.

Learning how to deal with understeer was a huge thing that helped me get quicker. If you feel it start to understeer, do NOT keep turning the steering wheel to force the car to turn when it is wanting to go straight. Ease up on the throttle and bring the steering wheel back towards center until it starts to gain traction. Then start to get back on the throttle and turn the steering wheel. When I was a noob, this was counter intuitive, but was a biiiiig help to me.

Oh... I went from a FWD CRX and I remember how quickly I learned to not abruptly lift on the throttle when the car gets upset and starts to oversteer. The S does not coddle you when you make this mistake.

Have fun!!

-Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daverx7
Oh... I went from a FWD CRX and I remember how quickly I learned to not abruptly lift on the throttle when the car gets upset and starts to oversteer. The S does not coddle you when you make this mistake.
I would back this up. The S2000 seems to be the least forgiving of all cars I have autocrossed and I have been a bit surprised of just how easy it is to spin these cars if your not careful.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it seems to me that ap2 is not that tricky.
at least my is not.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BirdShot
Originally Posted by daverx7' timestamp='1313380386' post='20877826
I would back this up. The S2000 seems to be the least forgiving of all cars I have autocrossed and I have been a bit surprised of just how easy it is to spin these cars if your not careful.
Yeah, but your S is likely exaggerate this even more due to your tire size configuration (square) and being mostly stock configuration. When I was in stock class, just going to from stock 205 (really a 195 width) to fairly pinched 225's needed a big bar up front to calm the @ss side of the car.

Either way, I believe that many RWD cars will get pissed if you lift big... It was eye opening at my 1st autocross with mine.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun. Take novice walk and ask if you have any questions. Drive it like you stole it!

Quick Reply: Running my AP1 in Autocross this saturday...what should I expect?