S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With S2000, I've driven on the following:
RS3 (in various square and stagger sizes), Z1 Star Specs, original RE-11, Re-11A (current) and few other unimportant tires.

When I first had the chance to push Re-11A to the limit, I was tremendously disappointed. Its tread squirm at full tread depth is very bad for cars over 2600lbs. When it heats up, it retains that heat too well. It has very predictable breakaway characteristics, however. Also note that its inside and outside sidewall construction is different, with the compliant inside tire wall to give smooth rides. This does provide absolutely gorgeous ride quality. But it ruins steering feedback and on-center feel.

Compared with other tires in Re-11A category:
+: Incredible wet grip, manageable and when breaking away.
+: Easy to modulate braking, and short braking distance
+: Audible feedback! (kinda loud actually)
+: Very comfortable
+: Heats up very very quickly
+: Stiff outer sidewall (predictable control when in a steady slide)
+: Quiet
+: Very good cold weather tire. even at 0~5deg celcius.
=: OK tread life (not as good as the original Re-11. 25-40% shorter life than the original Re-11), Still better than RS-3. Slightly better or equivalent to Z1 Star Specs.
-: Low ultimate grip. Probably even lower than Pilot Super Sports that wears much better than this tire. I wouldn't count this tire as belonging to the "extreme summer" group. The ultimate grip avaialble isn't necessarily better than the original Re-11. Its operating temperature is broader than Re-11, however.
-: Worse tread life than Re-11.
-: Steering response when full-tread depth. Not much improvement even at 4/32nd.
-: Overheats much quickly compared to other tires.
-: Takes a while to catch slides with this tire.

Verdict: Very good street tires that you can take to the track. But don't expect any lap records. At thin tread depth (2~3/32nd), if not heat cycled out, it may prove to be very capable tire.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darknessph
With S2000, I've driven on the following:
RS3 (in various square and stagger sizes), Z1 Star Specs, original RE-11, Re-11A (current) and few other unimportant tires.

When I first had the chance to push Re-11A to the limit, I was tremendously disappointed. Its tread squirm at full tread depth is very bad for cars over 2600lbs. When it heats up, it retains that heat too well. It has very predictable breakaway characteristics, however. Also note that its inside and outside sidewall construction is different, with the compliant inside tire wall to give smooth rides. This does provide absolutely gorgeous ride quality. But it ruins steering feedback and on-center feel.

Compared with other tires in Re-11A category:
+: Incredible wet grip, manageable and when breaking away.
+: Easy to modulate braking, and short braking distance
+: Audible feedback! (kinda loud actually)
+: Very comfortable
+: Heats up very very quickly
+: Stiff outer sidewall (predictable control when in a steady slide)
+: Quiet
+: Very good cold weather tire. even at 0~5deg celcius.
=: OK tread life (not as good as the original Re-11. 25-40% shorter life than the original Re-11), Still better than RS-3. Slightly better or equivalent to Z1 Star Specs.
-: Low ultimate grip. Probably even lower than Pilot Super Sports that wears much better than this tire. I wouldn't count this tire as belonging to the "extreme summer" group. The ultimate grip avaialble isn't necessarily better than the original Re-11. Its operating temperature is broader than Re-11, however.
-: Worse tread life than Re-11.
-: Steering response when full-tread depth. Not much improvement even at 4/32nd.
-: Overheats much quickly compared to other tires.
-: Takes a while to catch slides with this tire.

Verdict: Very good street tires that you can take to the track. But don't expect any lap records. At thin tread depth (2~3/32nd), if not heat cycled out, it may prove to be very capable tire.
The RE-11A are fast down to the cords. I broke my previous PB and likely a lap record for a wingless S2000 (2:03.94 set by R-S3 in warmer weather) on 12th day RE-11A with less than 2/32nds tread depth (with a time of 2:03.33). Last weekend I was only able to beat my time by .1 (2:03.23) in cooler weather 2nd day ZIIs.

Video from last weekend on ZIIs if anyone cares to see (PB was set on the third lap in this video).
http://youtu.be/eHKwvz4VICc
Old 11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Nice laps. What size tires were you running and whats your over all set up, if you dont mind sharing?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

So since I had them sitting around in prep for Lemons at Sonoma I figured I would take some measurements and photos for you guys.

We have 1 set of RS3's and 1 set of Z2's mounted on identical wheels 9" front 10" rear with 255's square (not for an S2000)

First the 9" wheel comparison: you can see there is an appreciable difference in width favoring the RS3. Approximately 1/8" per tire.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals-bsphdou.jpg

What is interesting is when mounted onto a 10" wheel the width difference becomes less apparent but the measured contact patch still favors the RS3 by more like 1/4" per tire.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals-kmk71wd.jpg

The whole gallery is here.

http://imgur.com/a/GRbQL#kMk71wd
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im about to order RS3s again. I cant wait to see how they feel back to back coming from the z2s. I really like the z2s so far.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJ7
^Nice laps. What size tires were you running and whats your over all set up, if you dont mind sharing?
Thank you I was using non-staggered 245/40R17 ZIIs on 17x9s, HKS hipermax III sport, EVS 70-SSP w/70mm test pipe, Stoptech BBK with Project Mu club racer pads all around. The car weights roughly 2930 with me in it (155lbs)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Freaks LLC
The RE-11A are fast down to the cords. I broke my previous PB and likely a lap record for a wingless S2000 (2:03.94 set by R-S3 in warmer weather) on 12th day RE-11A with less than 2/32nds tread depth (with a time of 2:03.33). Last weekend I was only able to beat my time by .1 (2:03.23) in cooler weather 2nd day ZIIs.

Video from last weekend on ZIIs if anyone cares to see (PB was set on the third lap in this video).
http://youtu.be/eHKwvz4VICc
I did a wingless 2:01 on 6th day RS3...

RE11A heat cycle like any other EHP tire. If they're fast when they're old, then you're not really heating them up.

S2000 CR, wing delete, hardtop delete (don't ask), J's 70RR, CSG spec SRCs.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I did a wingless 2:01 on 6th day RS3...

RE11A heat cycle like any other EHP tire. If they're fast when they're old, then you're not really heating them up.

S2000 CR, wing delete, hardtop delete (don't ask), J's 70RR, CSG spec SRCs.
You did a 2:01 wingless at thunderhill?! I can assure you they had plenty of heat in them and were completely overheated after the 5th or 6th flying lap even with less than 2/32nds tread depth. They would be fastest on their first 2 flying laps and then continue to get slower and slower as they started to overheat just the same as just about every other EHP tire out there. I just thought it was impressive that I had to really fight to beat the lap I set on 12th day RE-11A using 2nd day ZII in cooler weather.

Here is the video of the lap using the RE-11A:
http://youtu.be/Oenc1WY7Sz4
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Don't agree at all. But I would very much like to see that 2:01.

Matt you did have 255 RE-11A and 245 ZII though right?
Old 11-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Matt you did have 255 RE-11A and 245 ZII though right?
You are correct, sir! I forgot to mention that. Although the difference in lap time between the two sizes should be pretty insignificant.

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals