S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by rjones' timestamp='1323795101' post='21233442
[quote name='momofoolio' timestamp='1323679451' post='21229424']

I don't know what I do with my RE-11s
I think they hate me
+1

I did not get along at all with the RE-11s I had.
Odd, I absolutely love the RE-11s. I've found them very predictable and consistent on track.

What issues are you guys having? What tire pressures? I typically run around 36-38psi hot.
[/quote]

My car had good balance on Star Specs, then I went to the RE-11s of the same size 225/255 on stock wheels, and the car understeered bad. I was able to fix the understeer somewhat by going back to the stock front bar. Then the car was just a little slower than it was on Star Specs. Never did get the car to handle really good on the RE-11s. Off hand I don't remember what pressures I was running, but it would have been around mid 30's.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjones
My car had good balance on Star Specs, then I went to the RE-11s of the same size 225/255 on stock wheels, and the car understeered bad. I was able to fix the understeer somewhat by going back to the stock front bar. Then the car was just a little slower than it was on Star Specs. Never did get the car to handle really good on the RE-11s. Off hand I don't remember what pressures I was running, but it would have been around mid 30's.
You also have to remember that the RE-11 is narrower than the Star Specs of the same size, which may throw off your car's balance.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
I've enjoyed my RS-3's for autocrossing, and recently got a set for my street wheels. However, I was very disappointed to see that the rolling resistance of the RS-3's caused a ~6% reduction in torque compared to my previous street tires (Sumitomo HTRZ-2). I regained some of this by increasing my tire pressures from 30 to 36, but they are still making the car feel sluggish in a straight line. Have any of you guys noticed this? I'm considering selling them, since I would MUCH rather have low rolling resistance on the street.

These 2 plots were done 3 days apart with nearly identical conditions. I have hundreds of plots before and after these that show the same reduction in torque.

Since it was time to replace my RS-3's, and wasn't happy with the amount of rolling resistance that they added, I went back to Sumitomo HTRZII's in the same size. Since my road torque test wasn't performed in a controlled manner earlier this year, I decided to do a better test this time. I set the tire pressure in the RS-3's to 35 PSI, then did several controlled WOT pulls in my usual spot. There was no wind or rain, so I got very consistant data. Then I went to the tire shop, and had the new tires mounted up. I set the pressures in the new tires to 35 PSI, and went straight back to do more WOT pulls. Below are the averages of the 2 sets of pulls less than 1 hour apart. The average difference is about 6.5 ft-lbs.

BTW, I do know that the Sumitomo HTRZII is NOT much of a performance tire, but I wanted to show just how much rolling resistance the RS-3 has. I really wish there was some sort of tire spec that would indicate the rolling resistance. It really makes such a significant difference in fuel economy and straight line accelleration.

Name:  untitled-22.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gernby, good data, but when it comes to performance tires, why be worried about fuel mileage and rolling resistance? Less rolling resistance means less cornering traction.

As a side note, the industry has been talking about finding new standards as the current UTQG standards can be manipulated too easily. We'll see what the future brings.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjones
Originally Posted by spdracerut' timestamp='1323807165' post='21234066
[quote name='rjones' timestamp='1323795101' post='21233442']
[quote name='momofoolio' timestamp='1323679451' post='21229424']

I don't know what I do with my RE-11s
I think they hate me
+1

I did not get along at all with the RE-11s I had.
Odd, I absolutely love the RE-11s. I've found them very predictable and consistent on track.

What issues are you guys having? What tire pressures? I typically run around 36-38psi hot.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm joining the club with you guys... Mine are oem ap2 sizing. Exact same symptoms as already mentioned above.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM

In keeping with the rs3 losing torque, could it be a bit of that wrinkle effect from the softer sidewall? Less energy is being transmitted to the ground.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
In keeping with the rs3 losing torque, could it be a bit of that wrinkle effect from the softer sidewall? Less energy is being transmitted to the ground.

Im sure its a combination of the rs3 running super wide (much wider than the sumitomo) wich also means its most likely heavier and since it puts more rubber and softer rubber on the road it increases the rolling resistance.
Gernby- measure the width of the RS3 and the sumitomo, exactulay how much wider is the rs3? im sure that explains a lot.
Anyways, anyone who is buying tires like this is either tracking their car or driving aggressively on the street or backroads and dont care about a slight loss in torque or fuel economy. Thats what super narrow all seasons are for.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Moral of the story is if you want to smoke your fellow S2000 owner from a freeway roll, run the Sumitomos.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1324627190' post='21258494

Im sure its a combination of the rs3 running super wide (much wider than the sumitomo) wich also means its most likely heavier and since it puts more rubber and softer rubber on the road it increases the rolling resistance.
Gernby- measure the width of the RS3 and the sumitomo, exactulay how much wider is the rs3? im sure that explains a lot.
Anyways, anyone who is buying tires like this is either tracking their car or driving aggressively on the street or backroads and dont care about a slight loss in torque or fuel economy. Thats what super narrow all seasons are for.
The RS3's aren't noticeably wider or heavier. It's certainly not anything significant enough to cause a measurable drop in torque. The HTRZII's that I had before the RS3's were the widest tires I've ever had (285/35-18).

BTW, I do track and autocross my car, but I have a second set of wheels and tires for that. On the street, I would rather have straight line accelleration, since I save the fast cornering for the track.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by MMisencik157' timestamp='1324672411' post='21259904
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1324627190' post='21258494']

The RS3's aren't noticeably wider or heavier. It's certainly not anything significant enough to cause a measurable drop in torque. The HTRZII's that I had before the RS3's were the widest tires I've ever had (285/35-18).

BTW, I do track and autocross my car, but I have a second set of wheels and tires for that. On the street, I would rather have straight line accelleration, since I save the fast cornering for the track.
[/quote]

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals