S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of us take the gain in rolling resistance to increase our cornering and average speed around the track

This may also be why it's so difficult for me to get a 300 mile tank
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Most of us take the gain in rolling resistance to increase our cornering and average speed around the track

This may also be why it's so difficult for me to get a 300 mile tank

I use OEM wheels with RS-3's for autocross / track, so my priorities for a street tire are very different. I would totally accept a reduction in lateral grip in order to increase straight line accelleration and fuel economy.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

BTW, It's rare for me to get 220 miles out of a tank with any tire...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1310666610' post='20779671
I don't quite understand why you want to sell the RS3s for the Sumitomo HTRZ-2. If you're running only public streets, then it's probably better to just set your alignment square at -.5 degrees of camber and 0 toe to save your tires. Just have RS3s are backups for anything faster than daily driving to work.
I don't think I would necesarily get the HTRZ-2's, but I just don't like how slow the car is with these thres. It truly feels like I'm carrying around an extra 200 lbs! I'm sure it is also decreasing my already sucky fuel mileage by about 6% too. An alignment isn't going to fix either of these issues.

BTW, these are 225/40-18's front and 265/35-18's rear. My previous tires were 225/40-18 front and 285/30-18 rear. I realize that part of the reason why my car feels slower is due to the 265/35's being taller than the 285/30's, but the road torque graph I posted above already accounts for that.
Well there you have it. 18s will make your car feel slower. Your tune and your foot is probably what nets you 220miles per tank. As for feeling a faster car, you're better off just going FI if you want the car to feel faster. I know you're the NA king of ECU tuning, however, MPG + speed don't mix in a S2000. Modifying the car and using the proper equipment will net you happy times for spirited driving. In this case, RS3s are good for spirited driving and brick-like treadwear tires (HTRZ-2) are good for feeling fast. Dialing in 0 toe will decrease resistance as well resulting in a little extra speed.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by gernby' timestamp='1310668779' post='20779821
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1310666610' post='20779671']
I don't quite understand why you want to sell the RS3s for the Sumitomo HTRZ-2. If you're running only public streets, then it's probably better to just set your alignment square at -.5 degrees of camber and 0 toe to save your tires. Just have RS3s are backups for anything faster than daily driving to work.
I don't think I would necesarily get the HTRZ-2's, but I just don't like how slow the car is with these thres. It truly feels like I'm carrying around an extra 200 lbs! I'm sure it is also decreasing my already sucky fuel mileage by about 6% too. An alignment isn't going to fix either of these issues.

BTW, these are 225/40-18's front and 265/35-18's rear. My previous tires were 225/40-18 front and 285/30-18 rear. I realize that part of the reason why my car feels slower is due to the 265/35's being taller than the 285/30's, but the road torque graph I posted above already accounts for that.
Well there you have it. 18s will make your car feel slower. Your tune and your foot is probably what nets you 220miles per tank. As for feeling a faster car, you're better off just going FI if you want the car to feel faster. I know you're the NA king of ECU tuning, however, MPG + speed don't mix in a S2000. Modifying the car and using the proper equipment will net you happy times for spirited driving. In this case, RS3s are good for spirited driving and brick-like treadwear tires (HTRZ-2) are good for feeling fast. Dialing in 0 toe will decrease resistance as well resulting in a little extra speed.
[/quote]

Dude, You're not going to school me on physics. I've been on 18's for 34K miles, and this is my 4th set of 18" tires. I did not change my wheels or alignment during the 3 days that passed between the 2 torque plots above. It is the tires, and only the tires, that caused this ~6% drop in road torque. As I said before, I have hundreds of torque plots from before the tire swap, and have probably 25 torque plots from after the tire swap, and they ALL show the same drop in road torque.

I'm not complaining about the tires because I wish my car was faster. I'm asking if you guys have noticed how much power the RS-3's soak up.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1310671993' post='20780113
[quote name='gernby' timestamp='1310668779' post='20779821']
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1310666610' post='20779671']

[/quote]

Dude, You're not going to school me on physics. I've been on 18's for 34K miles, and this is my 4th set of 18" tires. I did not change my wheels or alignment during the 3 days that passed between the 2 torque plots above. It is the tires, and only the tires, that caused this ~6% drop in road torque. As I said before, I have hundreds of torque plots from before the tire swap, and have probably 25 torque plots from after the tire swap, and they ALL show the same drop in road torque.

I'm not complaining about the tires because I wish my car was faster. I'm asking if you guys have noticed how much power the RS-3's soak up.
[/quote]
Ahh sorry man. 6% is just a lot of power to be sapped out of your car. Frankly I don't notice it even if I swap out to different tires. It's possible the sidewall stiffness plays a huge part in it. RS3s are crap compared to the mentioned tires in the thread. RS3 = soft tread + soft sidewalls. As for car feeling slower? Maybe weight? Rotational inertia? I'm not sure. Have you tried NT01s or slicks to compare?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm looking for the best rain tire without to much compromise on dry ground. This is for daily driving on street too. Right now I have federal brand that Honda installed and today while exiting the interstate going 40 I downshifted with a little rev match and next I know i was sideways..literally a foot from the back end of an suv. I've noticed while in rainy weather with the TC on it still slides very very easy. Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Loves2ks
Hey all, I'm looking for the best rain tire without to much compromise on dry ground. This is for daily driving on street too. Right now I have federal brand that Honda installed and today while exiting the interstate going 40 I downshifted with a little rev match and next I know i was sideways..literally a foot from the back end of an suv. I've noticed while in rainy weather with the TC on it still slides very very easy. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a combination of some driver error and really really cheap tires. You may be better off asking in the Wheels and Tires subforum if you're unable to make a decision based on this thread, as this thread really is about the stickiest street tires available, and none of them are particularly spectacular in the rain compared to an all-season.

Perhaps something like the RE760 is better suited for you.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by takchi
Ahh sorry man. 6% is just a lot of power to be sapped out of your car. Frankly I don't notice it even if I swap out to different tires. It's possible the sidewall stiffness plays a huge part in it. RS3s are crap compared to the mentioned tires in the thread. RS3 = soft tread + soft sidewalls. As for car feeling slower? Maybe weight? Rotational inertia? I'm not sure. Have you tried NT01s or slicks to compare?
There isn't enough difference in tire weight to cause this. I wouldn't consider slicks for a daily driver tire, and am not familiar with NT01's.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Im not familiar with running 18s but if youre on the street, why such low tire pressure (30psi)? Most people who run RS3 form what Ive read up the tire pressure because of its soft sidewalls.
I usually max out my PSI on the street when I drive to and from the track on my NT01s.

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals