S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lvd1102
how much less? im currently at -3 and my tires were wearing out super fast. (falkens 452) so with more camber it wears out more even? so did i buy spc ball joints for no reason?lol
If handling is your goal, step up the tire. I'd consider that 2 full steps down from the current crop of top street tires. Even Falken has the RT615 and RT615k. The 452 has a really REALLY soft sidewall. Softer than any of the tires test here. It's also not made for any sort of track duty.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM

OP updated with more 595RS-R impressions.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im somewhat going to agree on the heating up point you made on the 595RSR. If you spin or have a lot of overdriven slides, then yes they will heat up fast and you will have to back off and let them cool down. It also does take quite some time for the 595 RSR to do that.

However (the caveat )

If you drive reasonably within limits and controlled/smoothly, then this tire is amazing. Great feedback, no overheating, consistency and cold grip to rival the days the Azenis was the autocrossers choice of tire. I can't say I have any complaints given my own driving style. Now for Mikes dorfito style personalities well...you know what happens to the tire
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Im somewhat going to agree on the heating up point you made on the 595RSR. If you spin or have a lot of overdriven slides, then yes they will heat up fast and you will have to back off and let them cool down.
I'm not sure what you're comparing sliding to, but a tire sliding generates less heat than the same tire cornering with traction. There is less work being done with a sliding tire.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by rohde88
Originally Posted by Squirtle' timestamp='1303188365' post='20481548
Im somewhat going to agree on the heating up point you made on the 595RSR. If you spin or have a lot of overdriven slides, then yes they will heat up fast and you will have to back off and let them cool down.
I'm not sure what you're comparing sliding to, but a tire sliding generates less heat than the same tire cornering with traction. There is less work being done with a sliding tire.
Drifting, pardon the vocabulary.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by rohde88' timestamp='1303220439' post='20482498
[quote name='Squirtle' timestamp='1303188365' post='20481548']
Drifting, pardon the vocabulary.
[/quote]
No, I still don't think you get it. I'm challenging your physics, not what you are naming a style of driving.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM

I never argued the physics, so there is really nothing to challenge here. Im not sure I see your argument, I am merely stating an observation on this tire from the past weekend. If you are saying there is another reason for my tire exhibiting the characteristics it did, please do tell, although I find with the information gathered from myself and Mike this weekend that you're going to be hardpressed to do so.

And if this is arguments sake for the sake of argument, I don't think it belongs in this thread. What do you want to hear? "You're right?"
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I never argued the physics, so there is really nothing to challenge here. Im not sure I see your argument, I am merely stating an observation on this tire from the past weekend. If you are saying there is another reason for my tire exhibiting the characteristics it did, please do tell, although I find with the information gathered from myself and Mike this weekend that you're going to be hardpressed to do so.

And if this is arguments sake for the sake of argument, I don't think it belongs in this thread. What do you want to hear? "You're right?"
I want accurate opinions of the tire and don't want to spread false information. I'm just questioning why you thought that sliding the tire would cause it heat up more than "grip" If you make an conclusion based on what you perceive as "over heated" tires then the conclusion is based on faulty physics.

Did you or Mike have a pyrometer?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Unfortunately I didn't have access to a pyrometer, but I tried 36, 37, 38, and 39 hot.

Gripping a corner heats the whole tire, while sliding heats only the surface of the tire. However, the temp rise is much faster sliding (albeit only on the surface).

Technically, what I'm doing is somewhere in between, since the rear isn't spinning out on control, but its not exactly gripping 1:1 with the distance traveled either. I'm not bouncing off of redline, even though I'm WOT, but if you compare GPS speed with the speed displayed by the gauge cluster, there's a pretty big discrepency.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by rohde88
Originally Posted by Squirtle' timestamp='1303226923' post='20482948

I want accurate opinions of the tire and don't want to spread false information. I'm just questioning why you thought that sliding the tire would cause it heat up more than "grip" If you make an conclusion based on what you perceive as "over heated" tires then the conclusion is based on faulty physics.

Did you or Mike have a pyrometer?
Well therein lies the problem. What I said was a vocabulary issue was in fact, a vocabulary issue. I understand sliding/drifting as a result of OVERDRIVING the car. Overdriving to me is when you are unnecessarily pushing past the limit putting heat in the tires unnecessarily. (oftentimes by shuffling the steering wheel unnecessarily, etc.)

Other things to note: I am using a pyrometer. Mike I thought you had one this whole time? Come borrow mine next track day. I am getting consistent temp and wear throughout sessions. I set them at 32 front and 30 rear for cold and they usually end up ~37-38 hot at the end of a session with no cooldown lap.

Also important to note is that I am running only -3 camber. My car is my daily driver, and as with the NT05 -3 all around is working just as well for the federals as it did for me on the NT05 (which I have used 3 sets of now) Compared to the NT05 the 595RSR is more audible, has better feedback, and runs much wider. I can't say how long they will last as theyve only been on the car for one track day, but the NT05 tend to last 4-5 track days with anywhere from 6-8K street miles in between. (Roughly 6 months if you track once every month and a half or so.)

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals