S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver9k
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1294453212' post='20052756

What I think camber specs should be on OEM suspension

Z1SS: -3.2
RS3: -3.5
595RSR: -3.3
Interesting, I've only run the Z1SS as of yet 235/255. I've been running -2.4 F, -2.8 R with them. I initially tried -3 F and -3.5 R with them and it was WAY too much. 45% track and autox driving 20% getting to events, and 35% street. My temps across the tires look correct and wear is about even across the tire. Maybe you're being a touch too hard on the tires wearing out the outsides thus compensating by adding camber? Especially since you're getting more camber gain with compression on softer OEM suspension.
To be fair, I should also add that on top of the OEM CR suspension, I'm also running OEM bushings that came with the car. I'm sure if I replaced with poly or even solid bushings, I can get away with a less camber (which, I would prefer, but replacing bushings is a total PITA and simply not worth it to me, yet.)

Most of the S2KC drivers are running in the low 3's for camber, but the majority also run non-staggered. This is irregardless of the suspension they are on.

You are correct in that I am using camber to even out the wear; I don't own a pyrometer, and unfortunately lack access to one. The closest data I have is when Nam (VitaRenovatio) was using a pyrometer and came to the conclusion that -3.3 (for star specs) was the correct alignment using a hybrid OEM non-CR suspension.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
To be fair, I should also add that on top of the OEM CR suspension, I'm also running OEM bushings that came with the car. I'm sure if I replaced with poly or even solid bushings, I can get away with a less camber (which, I would prefer, but replacing bushings is a total PITA and simply not worth it to me, yet.)

Most of the S2KC drivers are running in the low 3's for camber, but the majority also run non-staggered. This is irregardless of the suspension they are on.

You are correct in that I am using camber to even out the wear; I don't own a pyrometer, and unfortunately lack access to one. The closest data I have is when Nam (VitaRenovatio) was using a pyrometer and came to the conclusion that -3.3 (for star specs) was the correct alignment using a hybrid OEM non-CR suspension.
I've recently bumped my camber to -2.8 F and -3.0 rear as I'll be doing non stag 255 RS3's shortly, while I may not be out at the track for a while when I do finally go I'll try to record the temps and post what I find. Granted I do have poly bushings, I really didn't feel they made much of a difference. To negate them though I have KW clubsports so theoretically stiffer suspension using less travel = less camber gain thus run higher static.

There really are so many factors on what is the correct alignment, probably the largest is driving style and driver preference and those combined could easily split our difference.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 AM

OP updated; after some discussion with Emilio (of 949 racing), I've concluded that the heat issues are more related to the driver, rather than the tire itself. I'll try changing it up a bit.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Are z1SS worth ~$200 more per set than the RS3's? I'm thinking no, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to try the rs3 next! bye bye r-comps
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM

quick question. for daily and spirited driving and the odd track day what alignment specs would i run with the r-s3's right now im debating between the z1ss and the r-s3's
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

One complaint I have for the RS3 compared to the Star Spec is if you're going to have them on a daily driver/weekend warrior they aren't nearly as good in the rain. I had the Star Specs on my last s2000 and they did very well for what they are in the rain when they have good tread left. I currently have RS3's on my Sti which in theory should handle rain better due to AWD and being heavier but even so they seem to hydroplane a bit easier despite the heavier car. I have a feeling that with the s2000 they will only be worse. Right now the tires are also almost brand new some I'm kind of scared to see how they would be once they wear down a good amount.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM

I haven't used anything but the RS3's so far and I don't think I will switch. I am now at -3.3 camber front and rear and seeing much better tire wear. I am with Mike though. They may even benefit from more camber (-3.5), at least when judging by tire wear. I don't have a pyrometer. My car is my daily driver but I attend a track day a month and with less camber they'll probably wear out faster than what I have now. If you aren't really aggressive on the track you could probably get away with less camber on the RS3's.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM

how much less? im currently at -3 and my tires were wearing out super fast. (falkens 452) so with more camber it wears out more even? so did i buy spc ball joints for no reason?lol
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by lvd1102
how much less? im currently at -3 and my tires were wearing out super fast. (falkens 452) so with more camber it wears out more even? so did i buy spc ball joints for no reason?lol
That depends on how many track days you get in and how often... If you see 3-4 track days a year and DD your car, then you're probably getting pre-mature wear due to excessive camber. If you get 10-12 track days a year, then you probably need the camber.

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals