S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rotor & Pad Wear - Is this normal?

Old 09-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor & Pad Wear - Is this normal?

Just after only 1 track (100 track miles) event, I found the original OEM front rotors warped with only 1500 miles on the odometer. My Integra Type R OEM front rotors were the same. They also warped after only 1 track event. Anyway, I replaced S2000 OEM front rotors with after market rotors and Cobalt GT Sports pads.

After the 2nd track event (70 track miles), I checked the rear pads (OEM) and they were down to about 20-25% left. The car now has about 2800 miles. If they wear at this pace I am going to go broke really soon. I am normally easy on the brakes. I don't remember the pads on the ITR wear out this fast. I know weight does make a difference but the S is not that much heavier than the R.

Is this a normal rate wear on the S2000? Are OEM rotors suck this badly?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NewR,Sep 15 2005, 02:23 PM
Is this a normal rate wear on the S2000? Are OEM rotors suck this badly?
The rotors are fine. It is the pads that are the problem. Neither OEM nor GT-Sport pads are designed for full-on track use. Your "warped rotors" are actually uneven pad material deposition.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a word, yes. OEM pads are susceptible to rapid wear on the track. The GT Sport pads which you put on the front only may actually have made the rear OEM pads wear even faster.

The rotors have nothing to do with it and as Mike said, are not warped. They have an uneven layer of pad material deposited on them and can probably be restored by resurfacing them. The pads however are a different story. If you're an agressive track driver or are a heavy braker, then you might have to have to upgrade to a real track compound and maybe look into ducting solutions as well. If you're on street rubber then the GT Sport pads (front and rear) might be enough pad for you. It really depends on your skill level and how hard you push the car.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Sep 15 2005, 01:49 PM
The rotors have nothing to do with it and as Mike said, are not warped. They have an uneven layer of pad material deposited on them and can probably be restored by resurfacing them.
Wouldn't a really aggressive pad do the same job?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:15 PM

You probably don't need to resurface the pads if you get some really aggressive race pads like the Spec VR's. It'll clean everything off for you.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Duncan E,Sep 15 2005, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't a really aggressive pad do the same job?
Yes, they might. Depends on how bad the deposits are.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM

thank you very much for the replies. I know I can always count on you guys for answers.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 PM

I switched to full race pads when I started leaving deposits from my GTS pads on my rotors. The Spec-VR pads scrubbed everything clean in no time at all.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

i have left my spec vr's in front and gt sports in rear for city driving for over a month, other than ridiculous dust...am i risking uneven pad deposit or even premature rotor wear?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Sep 16 2005, 03:05 PM
i have left my spec vr's in front and gt sports in rear for city driving for over a month, other than ridiculous dust...am i risking uneven pad deposit or even premature rotor wear?
The GT Sports are fine on the street, and don't seem to be hard on the rotors.

But the Spec/VR, which are full track pads, are horrible at low temperature, and your brakes will not work as well with these as they would with street pads, on the street. I think that Spec/VR are harder on rotors than street pads, also.

I drive to and from the track with the track pads in, and am very conservative about things like following distance, since the brakes simply do not bite well when cold. It takes a full lap or so on the track (2.25 miles, and five heavy brake applications) before they warm up and start to act right. I would never use them in the place of street pads in the ordinary course of things.

Quick Reply: Rotor & Pad Wear - Is this normal?