S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Roll Cage while still keeping OEM softtop

Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^agree
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM

aren't there holes in the roll bar for those rings?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM

I've seen many people that run the roll bars in the Roll bar picture thread attach somewhere behind where the factory roll hoops would be. I'm interested because I woulld like to purchase the Cusco/Safety21 with out a harness bar to have more seat travel. Any thoughts or someone who has done this?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM

here we go again... it will pass tech so you need not worry. There are very hefty backing plates not seen.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=s2kobsession,Feb 24 2009, 01:26 PM] here we go again...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 24 2009, 01:32 PM
I need not worry for myself because I'm not going to be in your car. I do worry about your poor passengers who may not understand your lack of engineering competence.

That whole beam could come flying apart. You are loading sheet metal in the wrong direction. You are being very foolish, especially since you have a roll bar tube RIGHT THERE which *is* designed to take that load.

But if you don't want advice which is only intended to help save your life, that's fine by me.
Isn't that whole area (where the factory roll hoops are) pretty secure? I undestand that it might buckle under a harsh load but since that whole area is designed to withstand a rollover impact wouldn't it be reinforced? Mike you have first hand experience since you stripped your car, is there any other location you think would be ideal if you wished not to use a harness bar?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ///RS-2000,Feb 24 2009, 01:53 PM
Isn't that whole area (where the factory roll hoops are) pretty secure? I undestand that it might buckle under a harsh load but since that whole area is designed to withstand a rollover impact wouldn't it be reinforced? Mike you have first hand experience since you stripped your car, is there any other location you think would be ideal if you wished not to use a harness bar?
In the OEM setup, the loading is in a different direction (sideways, before being redirected forward from out near the side of the car). Also, the roll hoops themselves are tied into the structure, but in this case they have been removed.

And no, IMO there is no good place to anchor harnesses in the S2000 unless you have a roll bar with a harness bar. What really confuses me here is that he DOES have a roll bar with a harness bar (or will have, anyway), but he has decided not to use it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 24 2009, 02:07 PM
In the OEM setup, the loading is in a different direction (sideways, before being redirected forward from out near the side of the car). Also, the roll hoops themselves are tied into the structure, but in this case they have been removed.

And no, IMO there is no good place to anchor harnesses in the S2000 unless you have a roll bar with a harness bar. What really confuses me here is that he DOES have a roll bar with a harness bar (or will have, anyway), but he has decided not to use it.
Thanks for your opinion Mike. Don't mean to thread jack. I'm just kinda torn between the Cusco/Safety 21 and the Mugen Roll bar. Mugen is quite expensive and the Cusco/Safety 21 means reduced seat travel with the harness bar. I will have to see. Can't put a price on safety though
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

I admit, I have not done anything like a formal engineering analysis of this. I'm just going by how it looks to me. I wasn't willing to trust my life to a forward pull on that beam like that. And removing the roll hoops makes it substantially weaker.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM

You should consider how tall you are before doing anything.

I am tall, and I was willing to spend a good deal of money to get a custom-built roll bar, while keeping the soft top. Couldn't be done in a way that actually provided the proper safety to driver and passenger.

I ultimately bought a Spec Miata, and still daily drive my S2000. Since SMs are so cheap these days, it may cost you less (when factoring in the hit you car's value will take from the bar, and the cost of doing it) to look at used race cars.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage while still keeping OEM softtop