S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Roll Cage while still keeping OEM softtop

Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what I mean by LOW

fun with weights again:

sjs0433, here you go...hope these help, it's really hard to get the camera in there:

-Fil
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

That's all I needed to see. Thanks. And with the seat where you currently have it you've still got plenty of leg room? I think I've seen what I wanted.
did you get your seat recently? if so from where?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 PM

the seat can go back farther than i need it to

I bought it used...there's lots of parts up for sale in the classifieds on here
Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kinchu007,Jul 3 2009, 08:04 AM
Recaro Pole Position with Schroth Clubman III

And Jaku, I see your point but I don't think that people should be punished for running the correct roll bar geometry which requires removal of OEM roll hoops...the position of the harness bar on the other harddog bar that integrates the OEM roll hoops is HORRIBLE...after all there's no points added for turning your passenger side seat into a racing seat, just for complete removal...there are many areas of the rules that are not picky on weight, so if we do chose to attack a certain area it shouldn't be one that will discourage proper safety...that's just not in the spirit of the challenge in my opinion.

-Fil
even removing 32 lbs of passenger seat gets +0.25 points, so it's hard not to give any points from removing 45 lbs

but if someone adds a roll bar, i also think he can also gets -0.25 points, that sounds fair to me

so if someone add a bar and remove 45lbs, there is no points added and if someone removes 45lbs without adding a bar, then he should get +0.25 points or if someone keeps full interior with a bar, then -0.25 points

softtop -> hardtop = +0.25
remove rear trims = +0.25
remove passenger seat = +0.25
add a roll bar = -0.25

maybe remove AC = +0.25

i don't anything will be changed this year anyways, new rules should be discussed later much based on what we've seen this year
Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting off topic, but I totally agree that ADDING a rollbar should deduct points, since it is a weight penalty, and more safety is always good.

Maybe we should just bring scales and weigh everyone's car
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Exactly. There are so many little things that make it difficult to keep track of weight. There is no penalty for swapping an OEM hard top to a light weight CF one. There is no penalty for using carbon fiber body pieces. There is no default penalty for the CR, given that it is lighter to begin with (2765 without hardtop, 2813 with hardtop, 2855 with hardtop, audio and AC). Also, should CR's without AC/audio get an added penalty beyond other CRs with AC/audio (a difference of 42 pounds).

I say just keep it simple. Let the owners do what they want in terms of interior, exterior, safety, etc. and say a minimum race weight of 2800/2850/2900 or whatever pounds with driver and gas. Mike can bring the scales once in a while and keep everyone honest. Surprise inspections after you complete your time attack.

In the end, I suspect the better driver in the 50-pound heavier car will still win.

~Nam
Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio,Jul 8 2009, 06:05 PM
^ Exactly. There are so many little things that make it difficult to keep track of weight. There is no penalty for swapping an OEM hard top to a light weight CF one. There is no penalty for using carbon fiber body pieces. There is no default penalty for the CR, given that it is lighter to begin with (2765 without hardtop, 2813 with hardtop, 2855 with hardtop, audio and AC). Also, should CR's without AC/audio get an added penalty beyond other CRs with AC/audio (a difference of 42 pounds).

I say just keep it simple. Let the owners do what they want in terms of interior, exterior, safety, etc. and say a minimum race weight of 2800/2850/2900 or whatever pounds with driver and gas. Mike can bring the scales once in a while and keep everyone honest. Surprise inspections after you complete your time attack.

In the end, I suspect the better driver in the 50-pound heavier car will still win.

~Nam

And we'll set standard driver weight, and add points for those skinny drivers that weight very little....
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio,Jul 8 2009, 06:05 PM

~Nam
1. oem hardtop vs aftermarket hardtop is only 10~15lbs? but both get better areo advantage already, the difference isn't big enough to penalize 1/4 points imo

2. i don't think there is much weight saving unless the whole car is replace with dry carbon fiber, like literally the whole car, cos all our panels are light (hood, fenders, bumpers) except trunk, the cost over performance ratio is just too bad and 1 single dry carbon panel isn't big enough to penalize 1/4 points imo

3. i think regular CR is only lighter from softtop removal vs an ap2, but i will vote penalty for AC/audio removal next year

4. weight scale is too much trouble imo, we've actually thought about it for this season already

i think the difference between better and avg driver is still more than 50lbs penalty

even a pretty good driver that can't drive consistantly within 0.5s every lap, i would say sometimes driving error could hurt more than 50lbs in TA, maybe only in a long race with a very consistant driver will show the difference of 50lbs
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Okay, the car's finally done so here are the pics I promised...enjoy!

-Fil
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Looks beautiful, Fil! Good job.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage while still keeping OEM softtop