S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Roll Bar Extensions for S2000

Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roll Bar Extensions for S2000

Hello All,
I have a stock 2007 S2K and attend approx 2-4 open track days a year in Michigan. More and more tracks are asking for dedicated roll bars for convertibles such as the S2000 in order to run on the track. Instead of buying a roll bar or a full roll cage I've found that Brey Krause makes a roll bar extension for the Porsche Boxster (Brey Krause). Most tracks are ok with this. Unfortunately I have not found anyone to offer something similar for the S2K.

I contacted Brey Krause directly and they said that if enough people were interested they would make a similar roll bar extension for the S2000. This is perfect for someone like me whose car is their daily driver, only attends a few track days per year, and doesn't want the expense of a roll bar/full cage.

If you are interested in a similar roll bar extension for the S2K, please email ail BK at info@bkauto.com. I think this would be extemely beneficial for beginners and intermediates alike and could make track days more inviting to the less experienced drivers.

Best Regards,
Christopher
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, but I'm sure discussion will develop as to the safety of such an extension.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given that the roll hoops bolt in, I suppose you could just fab up taller ones. You would have to pull a bunch of trim out to access them, though. IMO, a bar like the Elda/Harddog design is a better solution and will be easier to implement.

Main issue is that really tall roll hoops don't have enough fore-aft strength. Short roll hoops that stay in place are better than tall roll hoops that fold over. You would need a diagonal stay, like the old Shelby Cobra style.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 AM

In response to mikegarrison: Yes, I agree that a dedicated roll bar such as the Elda Engineering bar, etc., will provide a more robust design. However for someone such as myself who attends only 1-3 track days at most, the roll bar extension is a relatively modest modifcation that can be installed and removed easily, at least from what I've seen on the Porsche Boxster design. If this works for the Boxster, why can it not be applied for the S2000? It's a similar concept.

My car is stock and my year round daily driver (yes, Michigan winters too). With my helmet on I just need another 1.75-2.00 inches of room above my roll hoops to pass the "broomstick test" at tech inspections. I don't track the car often enough to necessitate buying a roll bar and all the other hardware, so this is a great idea for someone such as myself. I would think that others may be in the same situation so I figured I would gauge the interest. Like I mentioned before, if anyone else is interested, Brey Krause would look into developing such a product for our market; if no interest, then nothing lost.

Regards,
Christopher
Old 09-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nofar,Sep 16 2008, 08:16 AM
If this works for the Boxster, why can it not be applied for the S2000? It's a similar concept.
Boxster != S2000.

Here's the deal. I'm an engineer. I took the trim out of my car and I looked at the OEM rollover protection. I think it looks fine for the purpose intended, accidents at street speeds and with street energy levels. I ripped it all out of there and had a roll bar welded in to my specidications. So that's how I voted with my life and my money.

You can make a different choice if you wish.

If Brey Krouse or anybody else comes up with something along the lines you are talking about, I will be very surprised. The roll protection is only as good as the pickup points on the structure, and there are limited options for pickup points. Elda already found the only ones I could find, assuming that you plan to retain the softtop. If you ditch the softtop, you open up some better options (which is what I did).
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You could consider a low seat rail. The backyard one drops about .75 of an inch. That might get you closer.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 16 2008, 04:14 PM
Boxster != S2000.

Here's the deal. I'm an engineer. I took the trim out of my car and I looked at the OEM rollover protection. I think it looks fine for the purpose intended, accidents at street speeds and with street energy levels. I ripped it all out of there and had a roll bar welded in to my specidications. So that's how I voted with my life and my money.

You can make a different choice if you wish.

If Brey Krouse or anybody else comes up with something along the lines you are talking about, I will be very surprised. The roll protection is only as good as the pickup points on the structure, and there are limited options for pickup points. Elda already found the only ones I could find, assuming that you plan to retain the softtop. If you ditch the softtop, you open up some better options (which is what I did).
Don't mean to go off topic, but I'd love to see some pics of your setup Mike.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 AM

mike garrison: You're talking to a fellow engineer...I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and work. As I've stated before, I do agree that the Elda bar et al are more appropriate and offer more protection and are safer options. No argue from me there. I merely stated that the roll bar extensions have been used on another vehicle of similar concept (Boxster = 2 door, 2 seat, rwd, convertible, which is similar concept as S2000) and have been accepted at the tech inspections at open track days.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that some tracks have not allowed me to participate in open track days because the S2000 does not have a roll bar and I do not pass the broom stick test with my helmet. Roll bar extensions would be a relatively less costly option to be able to participate for someone as myself who does not participate enough to warrant buying and bolting in/welding in a roll bar. It's merely a suggestion and an option; each person should analyze and make their own conclusions.

Regards,
Christopher
Old 09-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the bar extension you're contemplating is interesting, as a way to get around track restrictions (assuming it does, of course).

But I don't think it's very interesting as a true safety device.

I tracked my stock S2000 for over two years (many, many times a year), getting fast enough that I got concerned about safety in the event of a boo-boo. I looked into all sorts of options, trying to keep my car comfortable and safe as a daily driver. There was no good answer.

So I bought a used Spec Miata, which cost less than significantly modifying my S2000, and is much safer. Now, having raced the SM for two years (the hidden cost of buying a race car--you'll want to race it), I wouldn't even consider tracking a roadster, regardless of "factory protection;" too many bad things can happen, even in lapping, for me to be comfortable without window netting, a full roll cage, a HANS device, a real race seat, and a five- or six-point harness.

I certainly can understand someone being less conservative on this matter than I am, but please don't think that a band-aid like you're considering is a huge step-up in safety for your car.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM

The Boxster has a very different structural design than the S2000. As I said, Boxster != S2000.