S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

revalved stock shocks?

Old 12-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revalved stock shocks?

Just wondering if anyone has had the stock honda schocks revalved for better handling, and to mate better with stiffer/shorter springs? If so what were the results....I would like to further tune my cars handeling a bit, but going from remote reservoir shocks stock to monotubes for $2G is kinda hard to do.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM

ok..well let me start here...can the stock shocks be revalved?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 AM

NOBODY?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of anyone trying that before. You'll have to be the pioneer and tell us how it works out
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

Can you even get into the stock bodies without cutting?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the stock shocks can be opened up. If they could, the cost to revalve might be more than a set of Konis, (~550) which are adjustable.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Anybody willing to experiment ? Here are some thoughts . The stock shocks are mono tube design thus the oil and gas are separating by a floating piston . the oil is taking the space on the upper part of the tube . One can drill a small hole the top part of the tube , where the shaft never reaches , weld a nut on top of the hole and use appropriate bolt as a plug , then turn shock upside down and empty the shock oil . Use motorcycle fork oils of different viscosities or mix them to achieve desired viscosity . The thicker oil should give more damping both bound and rebound but the thick oil some times plays nasty games when passing through valves heating up and creating foam . Good luck to any takers , I'm not willing to spend any time to do it myself due to high degree of uncertainty .
Old 12-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Revalving shocks requires availability of different internal valve pieces -- it's very unlikely these are available off the shelf, in which case you'd have to fabricate your own at great expense.

I'm with spa-zz -- why would you want to do this when you could buy a set of Konis for less?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM

Our friend from Greece is correct that you could change the damping rate by using s different viscosity oil rather than changing the valve components. I'm not sure that you wouldn't also need to release the gas pressure in the lower part of the tube.

I looked at my stock shocks yesterday, and it looks like the top ends are crimped on. It doesn't look like you can take one apart in a reversible way.

I'm not sure what the point would be -- designfreak, are you concerned that a shock without a remote reservoir would have less total travel? If that's it, the first questions to ask would be: How much travel do the stock rear shocks have? How much travel do the monotube replacements have?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.koni.com

Quick Reply: revalved stock shocks?