S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Redline Time Attack Update (Autobahn North)

Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline Time Attack Update (Autobahn North)

So far the event has gone pretty well for everyone despite the few thunderstorms during the day, luckily only a few guys missed any track time at all. So far Ryan Gates looks to be the car to beat (not to mention it's his home track ) but Cobb is turning out some pretty quick lap times with the fastest official time so far being a 1:29 (Gates is running without a transponder). I'm a few seconds back with a 1:31 but I think everyone including myself has a lot left in the power department so it's still pretty up well up in the air. In other S2000 news GT Motoring is flying for an NA S2000 with a 1:40.

The track itself is pretty technical and very rough. The rumble strips are virtually unusable and ready to rip off any aero aids you might have less than 4 inches off the ground. There was a bit of water on the track all day but slicks were no problem and it was all in spots that were not too important.

I took some video with the Go-Pro on the bumper but the track was so rough it's pretty tough to watch (1+ vertical G bumps on the logs). I'll have some good video, logs, and official lap times to post tomorrow but for now here's a few pics of the car in its current state...

Old 06-12-2010, 05:47 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdGidPqlDU [/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgC7bFV4qiM [/media]
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM

I ended up taking the super rwd class win but it was a bit empty with only 1 other car running. I couldn't make the record lap time from yesterday official since I broke 4th gear as soon as the time attack session started, luckily turning the wick up to 600 made up enough time to pull off a 1:33. A lot of guys broke class records today hopefully the mod class guys will have a chance (it's currently raining). I'll post a better update on a real computer after I make the drive back to Wilmington.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Radical car and especially rear diffuser. I bet it does the job though.
I see your taping the bumper holes and left headlight for better aero. But your right headlight is fully open as cold air intake I presume. Isn't the whole headlight hole causing a bit to much drag for the gain? Is a cover like the evasive motorsport car has on the left in your plans ? Care to show us an engine bay shot ?

I know i'm nitpicking . I bet it's plenty fast as is
Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 PM

I'll take some engine bay pics but you could find some by searching my old name (momentum). The headlight duct is molded fiberglass right into the turbo and makes a huge difference I can't really measure the power difference but at the same wg duty it goes from 260kpa on the dyno to 300kpa on the track. That's actually monocoat not tape it's typically used on model planes but it's perfect for this application. Not bling like carbon but it's cheap quick and effective.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn man, you like push or does none of that crap work?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Actually the lowest pressure on the undertray is further forward than you would think... I'll post some of the research I did but it's not unusual for a well designed diffuser (with a "flat" bottom) to have the downforce at the center of the car or even further forward. I hope to eventually have some wind tunnel data but for now I'll just say it's still pretty loose haha. Hopefully a sway bar adjustment will help.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is that your car?

Just interesting that there is almost a complete lack of front aero.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 AM

It is Ben-nsi is my new/old sn my iPhone is just still logged in on this one. I haven't put much focus on front end grip since I can't get rid of the oversteer. I probably burn 3 sets of rear tires to one set of fronts. I don't know if I need more stagger or what.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 AM

The flat bottom and diffuser added significant over all grip and netted a bit less oversteer but it's still pretty loose

Quick Reply: Redline Time Attack Update (Autobahn North)