S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RECOMMENDATION - Evolution Performance Driving School - Autocross

Old 05-12-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past weekend (Friday 5/9/03 and Sunday 5/11/03) I attended at the Evolution Performance Driving School Phase 1 and Phase 2 courses held in Louisville, KY.

WHAT A BLAST !!!

I am a total novice, never even having SEEN an autocross before, much less participated. So, I had no bad habits to unlearn. Not sure if that helped, but sure was fun.

The school was held at the giant parking lot of the new University of Louisville Football stadium, where there was room for three separate courses to be laid out. We had four National Champion autoX drivers who taught, along w/ all the appropriate event support anyone could ask for. The Phase 1 was limited to 12 students and the Phase 2 to 14. I learned a lot and had more fun than I could imagine. The blurb on the local web site is as follows:

"Kentucky Region will host the Evolution Autocross School May 9, 10 and 11, 2003. The Evolution School is formerly the McKamey Autocross School and anyone who has attended any of the schools in the last few years will notice little (if any) change. The same great instructors and one-on-one attention still exists. The school is now owned an operated by Jean Kinser Dana who co-founded the original autocross school with Jim McKamey and was a former instructor."

The main website for Evolution is: www.autocross.com/evolution/

They have schools set up pretty much all over the country on various dates. I HIGHLY recommend that you at least check it out. I was impressed enough that I'm registering for the Phase 3 course to be held in Merrillville, IL (near Chicago).

EDIT: Cost: Different depending on the host. I paid $200 per Phase, for a total of $400. Worth it? You bet it was and that would be so just for the fun alone, never mind the experience and education.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, my local area scca sanction holds a school where the top dogs of NWOR (NW Ohio) help out people. A MUST IMO for peeps just getting into auto-x. Nice thing about it being local is it is only $25 And usually get to run a lap about every 20min or so, great for the $. I just wish we had a larger p-lot for the school, I'm fine at speeds >60 in auto-x, it is 70< that gets me in trouble, I need some track time this summer I'm trying to save for a 3 day weekend at Mid-Ohio's school.
Steve