S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rear Sway Bar

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sway Bar

I have an '02 S and I was thinking about taking the rear sway bar off for autox. I am on stock ap1 wheels, but I am running a non-staggered setup with four rear wheels and 225/50/16r's. Will I be able to give it a little more throttle in the turns? Or what will the effects be?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 AM

Not sure how itll be on stock tire sizes but its easy to check it out. Just undo a link in the rear on one side and make a couple of runs at the next event. Should take like 5-10 mins to take it off and put it back on.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

personally, i'm not a fan of how the car handles with no rear bar, but everyone has a unique driving style and it works EXTREMELY well for some. Only way to find out is to try it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick
personally, i'm not a fan of how the car handles with no rear bar, but everyone has a unique driving style and it works EXTREMELY well for some. Only way to find out is to try it.
Well said, only way to know is to try.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Alright, thanks guys. How long does it take to unbolt one side? I'm just worried that I won't have enough time before my next run and I'll end up running with it the whole time.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes about 0:02:30 or up to 3hrs if done with a hammer and a screwdriver.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
It takes about 0:02:30 or up to 3hrs if done with a hammer and a screwdriver.
LOL (no really, I did)

Keep in mind if you jack up the car to install/remove the sway bar end link both rear wheels need to lift the same amount--preferably completely off the ground or the sway bar will be loaded. Could be a factor at the autocross.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No but seriously. You should try at home first to make sure that you don't run into a seized or otherwise difficult bolt to remove given that you have an 02. Also, you will familiarize yourself with the process and that could save time. I've done it between runs the one time that I tried it. It's easy when the car is on the ground... especially if you have a single exhaust and you elect to disconnect the driver side. I'd use a zip tie to hold the drop link against the bar to ensure that it doesn't get pinched some how while it's dangling.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by glagola1
No but seriously. You should try at home first to make sure that you don't run into a seized or otherwise difficult bolt to remove given that you have an 02. Also, you will familiarize yourself with the process and that could save time. I've done it between runs the one time that I tried it. It's easy when the car is on the ground... especially if you have a single exhaust and you elect to disconnect the driver side. I'd use a zip tie to hold the drop link against the bar to ensure that it doesn't get pinched some how while it's dangling.
Okay, yeah I'd be sure to do it at home. My friends have kind of talked me out of it though. They're saying that until I get a bigger front sway bar, there won't be any benefits from removing the rsb.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you should try it. There will be benefits, the balance will be more reasonable and it won't oversteer as hard. On the other hand, you'll get quite a bit of roll, but I think it's worth a try at least.

It will probably suck to get off. Once you've done that, coat it liberally with anti-seize, then you'll be able to pull it off/put it back on in a couple mins tops.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar