S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing School

Old 01-24-2002, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing School

I have convinced my fiance to go to a driving school for our honeymoon (she drives the S2000) and I am looking for suggestions for one to go to. Any suggestions? She is gonna take it too.

Chip
Old 01-24-2002, 07:07 PM

http://www.bondurant.com/

And spend the rest of your time sightseeing in the Great Southwest.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:24 PM
pll

http://www.skipbarber.com/

They have more choices near where you live. Otherwise you'll have to drive out to AZ

There are ususally two types of classes:
1. high performance driving
2. racing

In the high performance classes, you get to drive street cars (some schools let you drive your car). If you don't plan on doing any racing, take the high performance class.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:59 AM
ACB

I've gone to the three day skip barber school at Laguna Seca. Great experience. Good balance of technical discussion and track time.
I've also gone to the porsche driving experience at road atlanta. (no I don't own a porsche). This was by far a better experience. Teachers were better - I had Hurley Haywood as my personal instructor. You get a lot more one on one instruction and the groups are much smaller. You get a bunch of track time and the best part was that you drive brand new 911s on the track so you get a much better feel for what a street car will and won't do which has direct correlation to real world driving on the street or tracking the stook at your local track. IMHO, the open wheel race cars at any of the schools are a ton of fun but the dynamics of those cars are so far superior to street cars (grip, vehicle weight, braking) that it was hard to apply the seat time experience to your street cars. Yeah you get a feel for turn in, line, brake points, apex's ,etc... but you get that in the porsche deal as well but with much more relevant experience to the racing I'm doing. Good luck - any of the programs are an incredible experience.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:10 AM
S2R

i was interested in that 3day racing school until i saw the price
Old 01-25-2002, 09:37 AM

Barber and Panoz have 3-day racing schools in your area, I have taken them, both are excellent. Panoz uses their GTS sports car and Barber their open wheel car. Porsche Driving Experience is good (I took that too) but it is not a racing school, is 2-days only and you get no open lapping, but you do get to drive the 996, which like the Honda is an extremely good driving car. On the west coast the Russell and Bragg-Smith schools are also no less good and I recommend them both. Russell uses open wheel and Bragg-Smith uses Z06's which of course are very fun. If you have specific questions about any of these, please PM me.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:48 AM

Mike, the ability to get the wear you did on your tires at Laguna Seca, pushing them to their limits, and your description of how you take turn 2 at LS bespeaks of much experience and skill you have achieved. No doubt, those performance driving schools you have attended have helped.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:01 PM

Just as a lower cost alternative with the advantage of driving your own S2000 on the track, you might consider a driving school through a local ICSCC or SCCA afilliated club.

I have done two different courses (one of them twice):

IRDC's Competition & High Performance Driving School at Seattle International Raceway. $225.

Team Continental's Road and Race Car Driver Training at Portland International Raceway. $125.

Both had a Friday evening classroom session and an all day Saturday track session with an assigned instructor.

I found these courses to be extremely helpful, and well worth the money ($125 would be a bargain just for straight track time, especially on a weekend).

Ted
Old 01-25-2002, 06:43 PM

We autox right now, but I am looking for something different and fun. The Z06 school looks like fun North of Vegas. Not a bad price wither compared to the others.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:05 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iispms
[B]We autox right now, but I am looking for something different and fun.

Quick Reply: Racing School