S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations

Old 05-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfphinkterMC,Jul 23 2005, 06:21 AM
the crotch strap is not intended for restraint, its function is to keep the lap belt down low so after you recoil from primary motion u don't slide under the lap belt when u bounce back into the seat(submarining).

therefore it need'nt be tight but positioned properly to do this.

btw, drilling holes in the floor is fun
I am told a 5 point harness wont go because of the crotch strap having to be mounted centrally and unfortunatly there is a frame that runs own the center line.

With the crotch strap not intended for restraint could you drill a larger hole for a nut and washer to go into the center cross frame and attach to the eye bolt, thus using a 5 point harness with the "single" crotch strap?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by biker1,May 25 2007, 03:39 PM
I am told a 5 point harness wont go because of the crotch strap having to be mounted centrally and unfortunatly there is a frame that runs own the center line.

With the crotch strap not intended for restraint could you drill a larger hole for a nut and washer to go into the center cross frame and attach to the eye bolt, thus using a 5 point harness with the "single" crotch strap?

it is SO much easier to install a 6 point with 2 bolts on either side of the centerline.

it's also nice to imagine in some f'd up scenario your cojones will have a higher chance of survival with a strap on either side rather than one up the middle
Old 06-06-2007, 05:48 PM

I am very glad I read this thread. I am about to pick up some Momo Super Cup racing seats and I have learned a lot of different safety measures from reading this page. I also have read the forum at http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...p?postid=870038

I was planning on using a rollbar, racing harness, racing seat setup but also wanted it to be safe for everyday driving (especially with the girlfriend in the car) This is an interesting quote by Joe Marko:

"INSTALLING A ROLLBAR IN A VEHICLE THAT IS REGULARLY DRIVEN ON THE STREET (A DAILY DRIVER) SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASES THE LIKELIHOOD OF SEVERE HEAD INJURY IN EVEN A MINOR ACCIDENT FOR THE 99% OF THE TIME THAT THE CAR IS NOT ON THE TRACK.
SINCE ROLLBARS ARE TYPICALLY INSTALLED WITHIN 6" OF THE BACK OF THE HEADREST THERE IS A HIGH LIKELIHOOD OF HEAD CONTACT WITH THE ROLLBAR IN EVEN A MINOR TRAFFIC ACCIDENT AS THE SEAT BACK FLEXES WHEN THE BODY REBOUNDS INTO THE SEAT BACK. ROLLBAR PADDING - EVEN HIGH DENSITY PADDING IS DESIGNED ONLY TO WORK WITH HELMETS AND PROVIDES VERY LITTLE PROTECTION TO AN UN-HELMETED HEAD.

MOST ACCIDENTS OCCUR ON THE STREET WITHIN 5 MILES OF HOME!"

After reading this I have to seriously reconsider my option. I would like to hear from anyone who uses this type of setup for everyday driving or if you guys agree that this setup should be used for strictly track purpose.

Thanks,
~Allen
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightstriker,Jun 6 2007, 06:48 PM
After reading this I have to seriously reconsider my option. I would like to hear from anyone who uses this type of setup for everyday driving or if you guys agree that this setup should be used for strictly track purpose.
I didn't put in a roll bar for about three years, because I drove the car on the street a lot, and I thought the roll bar would be dangerous for that.

Now I finally put the roll bar into the car, and guess what? I was right. Roll bar and harnesses are not compatible with a street-driven S2000 -- IMO.

YMMV.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 6 2007, 09:03 PM
Now I finally put the roll bar into the car, and guess what? I was right. Roll bar and harnesses are not compatible with a street-driven S2000 -- IMO.
Having installed harnesses in several cars now, including most recently the Lotus and before that, the S2000, I'll add only that I fully concur with Mike's conclusion. Installing a bar in the S2K's a great idea -- for a track-only car. In a street driven car, it's a risk, and probably, net-net, far more dangerous than the rollover protection it offers on the track. The sad fact is: if you want to spend a lot of time at the track, the S2K's the wrong car, unless you're willing to own a trailer-queen that never sees public roads. My two cents, others may feel differently. That's fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I agree, with the slight modification that having a dedicated track car, with roll bar/cage and harnesses, which you drive on the public roads essentially only for the purpose of getting to and from the track, is my compromise. I am not excited about getting a trailer and tow vehicle (adds hugely to the cost, and creates significant storage problems), so I tow a tire trailer behind my track car, rather than trailer the car to the track. I understand the risk, but I'm willing to take that limited risk.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

where do you guys mount the eyebolt for the left side lap belt? i tried installing it into the stock lower seat belt location on the frame, but since the mounting point is so low to the floorboard, the eye bolt couldn't screw in, it would hit the floorboard....

The only solutions i see, are 1. getting a new eye bolt, maybe tring to find one with a smaller diameter hole, 2. drilling into the floorboard and mounting it there, or 3. taking out the carpet and maybe that would buy me more room so the eyebolt can screw into the stock location.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Left side? You mean the outside? Most people just use the stock location. I actually hired the guy who welded in my roll bar to also install the seats and harnesses, so I can't say if he had some problems to overcome or not, but I know he just used the stock seat belt mount point.

On the inside, you have to drill a hole in the driveshaft tunnel.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cbender,Jun 6 2007, 07:08 PM
The sad fact is: if you want to spend a lot of time at the track, the S2K's the wrong car, unless you're willing to own a trailer-queen that never sees public roads.
I drive my car to/from the track, usually. And other necessary locations, like the alignment shop. It's still licensed. But I don't drive it as a "street car", like to work or the grocery store or even just to make a weekend drive somewhere.

It's too loud, too much of a PITA the get into and out of, and if I'm not wearing a helmet the roll bar is a negative factor for safety. Also, track tires and brakes aren't a great choice for street driving.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM

If I still owned an S2000, I'd do exactly what Mike and Spider are doing. My point, really, was that convertibles don't make good track cars and that adding a rollbar for track use has risks for street-use. I suspect that's something many of you agree with, at least those that have been living with this problem for a while now.

Quick Reply: Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations