S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations

Old 07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't follow.

On my 2pt I put 2 eye bolts in the floor about 2/3rds of the way back.

But why share any existing bolts? Its really easy to drill two holes in the floor put some big fender washers on them and let each use its own point. Why even push it?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the frame interferes with the optimal placement for drilling the inboard bolt hole, don't you think

btw, its not legal to wear hans belts w/o hans....but i'm not telling

Next race: NASA Honda Challenge Infineon SoCal crossover 8/6-7/05,
come crew for me for free food, drinks and ginormous fun
Old 07-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that's the better and right way if you don't mind drilling two holes in the floor, no question.
Seat bolts are really strong though as they hold virtually everything in a rear collision unless you have a seat back brace, and crotch straps (and the rest of the harness) are doing nothing to little.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats ok, I'll have a hans by the next race.

btw hows the window net?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 PM

the crotch strap is not intended for restraint, its function is to keep the lap belt down low so after you recoil from primary motion u don't slide under the lap belt when u bounce back into the seat(submarining).

therefore it need'nt be tight but positioned properly to do this.

btw, drilling holes in the floor is fun
Old 07-23-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sfphinkterMC,Jul 23 2005, 12:21 AM
btw, drilling holes in the floor is fun
Be carefull of the fuel/brake pipe assy running under the seat area. I got lucky drilling mine for my Schroth 6pt setup. Didn't realize how close I was until after the hole had been drilled (it went right between the pipes!! ).
Old 07-23-2005, 09:56 PM

I slid a sparco backing plate up between the fuel lines and the floorpan and very carefully drilled the hole.

Will, the frame interferes with doing a 5-pt setup on the S2000 because the frame rail goes right down the centerline of the seat. 6-pt is all good. Those fuel lines are definitely an obstacle for the one side, but the other is no problem.

Richard, I agree with Ry - if you were to get rear ended, the initial force is going to be the seat pushing against your body, so the bolts for the seat get strained to keep the seat from tilting back. But if your body then continues forward or the car then hits an object in front (like in an accident with multiple collisions), it's going to pull on the bolts in almost the opposite direction. Granted, the sub bolts aren't the most stressed bolts of the harness, but why risk it. Besides, it's easy enough to later plug extra holes you drill by just putting a nut and bolt through the extra hole (ask me how I know - measure twice, drill once from now on...)
Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 PM

In the forward collision (whether or not after a rear collision) there should be little force on the seat bolts as the harness is doing all the work. Rear collision it's the seatbolts unless the seat is braced in back. But I agree that separate bolts in the floor for sub straps is the best way to go.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 AM

A safe rule to follow is if the OE mounting location supports both seat and one end of the seatbelt, then it's safe to use for dual purpose as you know we've actually tested it that way. You wouldn't believe the loads we have to pull on seat assemblies. Most of it goes through the belts but there is seat load as well which is a g load. The heavier the seat, the more it has to take.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by jlucas,Jul 24 2005, 04:06 AM
A safe rule to follow is if the OE mounting location supports both seat and one end of the seatbelt, then it's safe to use for dual purpose as you know we've actually tested it that way. You wouldn't believe the loads we have to pull on seat assemblies. Most of it goes through the belts but there is seat load as well which is a g load. The heavier the seat, the more it has to take.
The OE latch/receptacle for the lap-shoulder belt attaches to the in-board side of the frame of the seat, so the seat bolts (and seat frame) are doing all the work in the stock setup. With the race harness the lap and shoulder belts are mounted independent of the seat bolts, so using the seat bolts for the crotch straps seem safe enough from a strength perspective.

Quick Reply: Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations