S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations

Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think so. I think, and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that you're only allowed a harness if you install a rollbar.

Your only option might be to use a supplemental pull-up type lap belt to keep yourself planted.

Disclaimer: I don't do Solo 2 so I'm not up on the nuances of the rules so don't shoot the messenger.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the roll bar is legal for Solo-2 also.

as jp said, you can't run a harness unless you havea roll bar.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to take pictures while I was installing my seat and harness this week, but I'm going to pull it apart next week to repaint my rollbar (yes paint), so I'll take pictures then.

I used a 6-point Sabelt harness with the substraps mounted basically right under the substrap hole in my Sparco Evo seat and about 5 inches apart. I used Sparco backing plates on the underside of the car. I had to bang the left side of the floorpan flat to put the plate in place. On the right side, I shoved the backing plate up under the fuel lines and drilled a hole (carefully) between the two pairs of lines. The shoulder straps are mounted to the harness bar of my elda rollbar. The left lap belt has an eyebolt going through the stock seatbelt mount hole. The right lap belt goes to an eyebolt with a backing plate mounted right about where TwoHoos put his right lap belt. I used large fender washers under the eyebolts for the sub straps and the right lap belt.

I'm not sure how you would fit a 5-point because there's a frame rail going down the centerline.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 PM

this is very helpful
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! Some great info in this forum. I just did my first track event ever with Chin Motorsports at the Roebling track which is near Savannah, GA. What an absolutle blast!

My first priority is to do some safety upgrades including a harness but it sounds like I need to do a roll bar in connection with that to do it properly.

Thanks for the great info from a new tracker but an old S owner.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jun 8 2005, 04:10 PM
WOW! Some great info in this forum. I just did my first track event ever with Chin Motorsports at the Roebling track which is near Savannah, GA. What an absolutle blast!
Great to see another S2000 track enthusiast!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Can anyone comment on this setup? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Sure, those belts are mounted way too low.

From the very first post in this thread: "Since we sit relatively upright in our car, it is important for the shoulder straps to extend rearward at no more than a 15 degree downward angle from the horizontal. If the shoulder straps are mounted improperly (e.g. looping the strap over the shoulder and down to a floor mount) you greatly increase the risk of severe injury from spinal compression."
Old 07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah too low and they really should be mounted to 2 seperate hoops.

if somehow one failed you don't come completely loose. Each point of the harness should be attached to its own hook/bolt. Don't share points w/ your seat bolts either if you're still using a them for the seat.

-Ry
Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Should have a rollbar and race-seat also.

I've thought about the issue of attaching the crotch straps (6-point system) to the rear seat bolts. Seems to me that the harness, not the seat, is doing almost 100% of holding you in a frontal collision (when the crotch straps are needed). The seat, and therefore the four bolts holding the seat, are doing almost nothing (except holding the 35 lb race seat). If it weren't for the harness, you would be gone, leaving the seat behind. Therefore, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to secure the crotch straps via the rear seat bolts, from a strength perspective. The angles of the strap may not be optimal, but a that might be resolved if they were attached to a crossbar that was attached via the seat bolts or to the frame of the seat-rail that's held by the seat bolts. Any comments?

Quick Reply: Racing Harness Installation - Information and Recommendations