S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Most likely those rotors are the thicker rotors for the Accord caliper "BBK." I used XP12s (one set) with the RacingBrake rotors for the stock S2000 calipers and had zero fitment problems.
Hmm interesting. Did you also get the ones open slot ones or did you get these http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000_FRO...p/2081-311.htm

They're telling me I ordered the wrong ones and that these http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000_FRO...p/2081-381.htm are the "stock upgrade" ones with remarks that it is thicker than stock.

Warren from Racingbrakes has been helping me and is afraid I am giving false information to the forum users. Please Warren, feel free to jump in and clear up any misleading issues I have brought up. I am not trying to present any false information, just figure out what is going on here.

Also, I am currently running the rotors and it seems like the pad sweep area is a bit larger? From the picture attached it looks like the inner edge of the rotor is not in contact with the pad.
[attachment=9300:2011-09-14_10-06-33_69.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?-2011-09-14_10-06-33_69.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure the pistons were pushed in the whole way when you install the pads. also try to install the pads without the shims, then reinstall the shims after the pads wear down a little. you can also go to the autostore and buy a cheap new set of oem pads and compare them to the XP12 pads to see if the XP12 pads are thicker than oem pads.

the larger sweep area on the rotor is not a problem, that's very common for after market rotors. as long as the pads sit flush with the outer edge of the rotor.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by hondaf1
Are you sure the pistons were pushed in the whole way when you install the pads. also try to install the pads without the shims, then reinstall the shims after the pads wear down a little. you can also go to the autostore and buy a cheap new set of oem pads and compare them to the XP12 pads to see if the XP12 pads are thicker than oem pads.

the larger sweep area on the rotor is not a problem, that's very common for after market rotors. as long as the pads sit flush with the outer edge of the rotor.
Yes the piston was pushed in all the way and there were no shims used when trying to fit them. There's probably a good 2mm that needs to be shaved from the pad in order for it to fit. I will contact Carbotech to see if they made their pads any thicker than OEM.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ericshun
Originally Posted by hondaf1' timestamp='1316036291' post='20973634

Yes the piston was pushed in all the way and there were no shims used when trying to fit them. There's probably a good 2mm that needs to be shaved from the pad in order for it to fit. I will contact Carbotech to see if they made their pads any thicker than OEM.

The Carbotech pads are thicker than OEM, I believe. Don't quote me but from my experience this is just what I've seen
Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, 2mm is a lot. even with these rotor being 3mm thicker over all, that means that it's 1.5mm wider than stock on each side. that means the pads shouldn't fit the oem rotors if you have to shave 2mm off them to fit the the 28mm rotors (stock is 25mm). is it only one side of the pads that does not fit or both sides (inside and outside).
Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by hondaf1
wow, 2mm is a lot. even with these rotor being 3mm thicker over all, that means that it's 1.5mm wider than stock on each side. that means the pads shouldn't fit the oem rotors if you have to shave 2mm off them to fit the the 28mm rotors (stock is 25mm). is it only one side of the pads that does not fit or both sides (inside and outside).
I didn't try, but I think the pad should fit on the stock rotors. It's just the RB rotors are too thick. In the case that the Carbotechs are thicker, its just compounding the problem that the rotors are thicker too. The pads would probably need to be shaved like 1mm on the inside pad and 1mm on the outside pad.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pads that eric brought would have worked with oem rotors. (I've installed those pads numerous amounts of times) Its not the pads that have the issue. Its the rotor being to thick. I didn't know this company offered 2 different sets so maybe that's the issue?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are people using the plain finish or the slotted rings? They have both for oem and accord calipers. I have been using cheap blanks because of a lot of hate for the slots in the past. Is this true with these as well?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by itS2Krazy
The pads that eric brought would have worked with oem rotors. (I've installed those pads numerous amounts of times) Its not the pads that have the issue. Its the rotor being to thick. I didn't know this company offered 2 different sets so maybe that's the issue?

I think so but my problem is RB claiming it was my problem for ordering the wrong rotor. Warren has told me that the rotor I ordered was listed as a stock upgrade rather than a stock replacement and also the thickness increase was explicitly stated which I cannot find. From the page on their site it looks to me as these are both listed under stock replacement with no indication of needing the increased thickness requiring some sort of brake upgrade.

I am a bit upset at the fact that this was not clear. I hope RB can help me out and remedy this issue.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by itS2Krazy
Warren is now claiming that it will fit with stock pads but I remember when you put on my used stock pads you said it was already a tight fit. This makes me think that a fresh set of stock pads will not even fit. Warren is now making it out to be my problem that the rotors are too thick and I need to use stock pads. Who uses stock pads on $600+ two piece rotors?

I'm waiting to hear back from Carbotech but like Joey said, I don't think its the pad's issue. I think the rotor that I ordered is in fact not a stock replacement, but meant for use with RB bbk and maybe mistakenly listed as viable for a stock replacement.

There definitely needed to be more clarification on the site. Now i'm stuck with a rotor which is 3mm thicker and need to find my own pad solution.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?