S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?

so while having the racing brake two-piece rotors installed today we find out that the rotor is much thicker than the OE rotor.

I'm not sure how many miles there are on the stock rotor, but there's usually still an outer lip which hasn't completely worn away on the OEM rotor which would give me an idea of how thick the rotor was originally. I don't think the OE rotor has been worn down that much but the racing brake rotor looks MUCH thicker. This wouldn't be a problem if I was able to fit my XP12 pads on over them.

Has anyone else had this issue? It looks like the problem lies within the rotor being thicker rather than the new pads. I had to use the OE pads which were a bit worn and then it was a tight fit. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can remedy this? Will I need to shave the pads? I'm going to a track even this weekend and my thoughts are I need to get some used track pads? Where can I even get my pads shaved and does it make sense that I would need to do this?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say just use your OEM rotors for now, and after a day, the pads should wear enough to fit.

In the meantime, I would email RB...

How's the CR?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You sure those aren't the rotors that require you to use the accord calipers?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\

That would be my guess also. I would guess they just sent him the wrong ones.

Ps- how much lighter are the racebrake ones over stock
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1316002004' post='20971728

That would be my guess also. I would guess they just sent him the wrong ones.

Ps- how much lighter are the racebrake ones over stock
I was thinking this too. I double checked my receipt to make sure I ordered the right ones. I'll see if there's a part # or something on the box. RB emailed me back and i'm trying to figure this out with them. Never heard anyone else have this problem before.

Not sure how much lighter they are. Never weighed them but i'm sure the info is on here somewhere.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Most likely those rotors are the thicker rotors for the Accord caliper "BBK." I used XP12s (one set) with the RacingBrake rotors for the stock S2000 calipers and had zero fitment problems.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Measure the thickness of the RB rotor. Stock replacement should be 25mm and the one for accord caliper setup should be 28mm.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by hondaf1
Measure the thickness of the RB rotor. Stock replacement should be 25mm and the one for accord caliper setup should be 28mm.
Is the pad sweep area also larger? It does look like about 3mm difference so this is looking like the issue. I checked the box the rotors came in and it has the correct part number though. I will give RB a call later so if this was the problem I can get the correct set sent over ASAP to use this Saturday.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ericshun
Originally Posted by hondaf1' timestamp='1316021055' post='20972682
Is the pad sweep area also larger? It does look like about 3mm difference so this is looking like the issue. I checked the box the rotors came in and it has the correct part number though. I will give RB a call later so if this was the problem I can get the correct set sent over ASAP to use this Saturday.
Sorry, but I just need to tell you, your forum name is HILARIOUS

LOL...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the new xp12 pads the same thickness as new oem pads. I know you can get carbotech pads with custom thickness.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake two-piece rotor too thick?