S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Race seats

Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the regular one, If you would like to test sit in mine, you can either swing down here or, I will be in Dothan, AL (a little closer) tomorrow for an Autox.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by robinson
Yeah, seat buying sucks. I purchased two seats myself without sitting in them. The first was too small, recaro SPG profi, the second was just right, sparco pro 2000. Both had required different hardware to fit properly.
2 questions, how is the fitment in the car of the Sparco? and what hardware did you need to fit the Sparco v. the Recaro
Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
I have the regular one, If you would like to test sit in mine, you can either swing down here or, I will be in Dothan, AL (a little closer) tomorrow for an Autox.

Thanks. You are very kind. I have a track day at Road Atlanta next weekend. I will see if I can get lucky and find an S2000 with race seats. In the meantime, I will velcro my rear end to the factory seat

Later my friend,

Jim
Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robinson' timestamp='1302368259' post='20447833
Yeah, seat buying sucks. I purchased two seats myself without sitting in them. The first was too small, recaro SPG profi, the second was just right, sparco pro 2000. Both had required different hardware to fit properly.
2 questions, how is the fitment in the car of the Sparco? and what hardware did you need to fit the Sparco v. the Recaro
The recaro used taitec rails, the sparco could not go low enough with the taitec base so I purchased the buddy club base, and used the taitec mounting hardware. Then I cut (sparco) the left shoulder wing to fit inside the door. I also used some rubber to push the seat belt receiver out so I could reach it from above and between the tunnel and the seat. The sparco was much more work to fit, but it fit me better than the recaro.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, I tried to fit an older Sparco Evo with bride FG type rails and could not make it fit. I'll have to sell those rails and buy a different type.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger
If the car were to rollover the harness would keep you from moving. A stock seatbelt allows you to move or tuck to prevent injury.
A roll bar would be tall enough to protect and since the harnesses have to extend at 20% down there is no place to mount them without removing the rear interiror panels.
I challenge you to move around on the race seat while buckled using stock belt. It is impossible!

That being said, I've heard argument that the stock seats allow people to slide and move when in rollover. This is definitely not the intended design. The engineers wants to keep you firmly on the seat, cause they design the safety around it. They can't design safety around you if you move around. Moving around while buckled up is a recipe of disaster. Hopefully someone doesn't get strangled by the belt.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Does anyone have the Buddy Club wide seats installed? I am curious about the fit.

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Andrie
Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger' timestamp='1302297216' post='20445793
If the car were to rollover the harness would keep you from moving. A stock seatbelt allows you to move or tuck to prevent injury.
A roll bar would be tall enough to protect and since the harnesses have to extend at 20% down there is no place to mount them without removing the rear interiror panels.
I challenge you to move around on the race seat while buckled using stock belt. It is impossible!

That being said, I've heard argument that the stock seats allow people to slide and move when in rollover. This is definitely not the intended design. The engineers wants to keep you firmly on the seat, cause they design the safety around it. They can't design safety around you if you move around. Moving around while buckled up is a recipe of disaster. Hopefully someone doesn't get strangled by the belt.
It is not so much that it lets you slide or what not, its that if the car flips, when you head hits in a 3 point, you body will get pushed by the weight of the car and the free shoulder is able come forward enough to let your head be displaced enough to not smash you spine/neck. and this can still happen in a racing seat as long as it doesnt have those large head extensions or whatever they are called. Based on all the accidents I have seen the aftermath of first hand, you would be amazed how much a body moves around in the OEM 3 point, even when the seatbelt is locked. There are forces much stronger than what you can exert on your own. However, in a 5/6 point there is no movement at all except for the neck, and this is not enough to allow your head to be displaced enough.

long story short: there is a reason many sanctioning bodies do not allow Harness - roll bar in a convertible.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 AM

Do you have any pictures of these installed in your S?

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM

It is not so much that it lets you slide or what not, its that if the car flips, when you head hits in a 3 point, you body will get pushed by the weight of the car and the free shoulder is able come forward enough to let your head be displaced enough to not smash you spine/neck. and this can still happen in a racing seat as long as it doesnt have those large head extensions or whatever they are called. Based on all the accidents I have seen the aftermath of first hand, you would be amazed how much a body moves around in the OEM 3 point, even when the seatbelt is locked. There are forces much stronger than what you can exert on your own. However, in a 5/6 point there is no movement at all except for the neck, and this is not enough to allow your head to be displaced enough.

long story short: there is a reason many sanctioning bodies do not allow Harness - roll bar in a convertible.
You're assuming the forces that hit your head comes from slightly behind the head. What if the forces comes slightly in front of the head and pushing it back against the seat. Or what if the forces hit you right straight on top your head to your spine? When you roll over it is so violent, and confusing, since t is disorienting, you can't do or think to do anything. The best place you can be is strapped tightly on your seat.

A lot of sanctioning body doesn't allow a lot of things because of many issue. Some is to prevent a lawsuit.

Quick Reply: Race seats