S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

quick guide to over and under steer

Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Dec 13 2008, 08:31 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing you or your write-up -- it's great that you're contributing to the forum. I'm just saying that it's not yet in a sticky-worthy state.
o i fully agree its def basic so its not sticky worthy... i never really said it was!

my full writeup will be to follow shortly just got to work a couple things out of it.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mzk784,Dec 13 2008, 10:08 PM
I got this table from a Yokohama Advan brochure, it pretty much on the same subject and summarizes a lot of things in a simple way:
The Yokohama chart still has the same problem. Of the variables it lists, tire pressure, tread depth, camber, sway bar stiffness and spring rate (tuned together with each other and with tire pressure), and shock absorbers all have optimal settings. Simply saying "increase this for more grip" is incorrect, because increasing settings on any of those items beyond optimal will actually decrease grip.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but at the end of the day the only universally correct advice for adjusting handling is "experiment with all of the variables at your disposal until your car's handling is to your liking". Understanding how and why any particular variable affects your handling is wildly more complicated than "increase this for more grip", which is why the oft-recommended book Tune to Win is 171 pages long.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM

^sure suspension tune up is way more complicated than this, but my car is fully stock except for the brakes and tires, so the only variable I could control at the track after I screwed up my alignment is tire pressure, and it did work well for me on a track day.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mzk784,Dec 14 2008, 11:26 AM
^sure suspension tune up is way more complicated than this, but my car is fully stock except for the brakes and tires, so the only variable I could control at the track after I screwed up my alignment is tire pressure, and it did work well for me on a track day.
your wrong... you can always put different tire sizes on the stock wheels... you can always adjust the alignment. so as far as not actually modifying, a simple replacement tire setup and alignment can also do alot for you.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ronnycage,Dec 14 2008, 12:19 PM
your wrong... you can always put different tire sizes on the stock wheels... you can always adjust the alignment. so as far as not actually modifying, a simple replacement tire setup and alignment can also do alot for you.
yes, you are right, but I couldn't change tires or alignment track side, I didn't have extra set of tires, and didn't have the tools for the alignment. I did change alignment at the shop next day, but instead of spending the whole track day with a car that is oversteering or understeering (slightly), a simple pressure tweak saved the day.
what I meant is that these tricks can be helpful at times when you can't or don't have control the rest of the stuff, that certainly doesn't apply to a racing team, but works well at levels of amateurs or weekend track day people like me.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Dec 14 2008, 08:48 AM
Understanding how and why any particular variable affects your handling is wildly more complicated than "increase this for more grip", which is why the oft-recommended book Tune to Win is 171 pages long.
Exactly. Not trying to burst ronny's bubble or anything, but we've all seen these "understeer/oversteer" lists for years. Half the time they contradict each other, and that's because the subject is complicated. All these things interact, as do lots of other factors that aren't being mentioned here.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mzk784,Dec 14 2008, 12:32 PM
yes, you are right, but I couldn't change tires or alignment track side, I didn't have extra set of tires, and didn't have the tools for the alignment. I did change alignment at the shop next day, but instead of spending the whole track day with a car that is oversteering or understeering (slightly), a simple pressure tweak saved the day.
what I meant is that these tricks can be helpful at times when you can't or don't have control the rest of the stuff, that certainly doesn't apply to a racing team, but works well at levels of amateurs or weekend track day people like me.
i didnt want to come off like a jerk if i did... but i re read what you said and im wrong! you used the phrase "so the only variable I could control at the track" so yea i just read to quick and tried to contribute.