S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question: For those with Comptech Adj. Front sway bar

Old 01-25-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: For those with Comptech Adj. Front sway bar

I just tried adjusting my comptech bar for the first time. I jacked up the car, got under it, and tried removing the bolt to change to a different setting, but the bolt seemed to not want to budge out. I was just wondering if you had to take the bar completely off the car to adjust it? Or are you able to adjust it(move the bolt around) while it's on the car?

Also, just curious as to what everyone's setting is at? Mine's at the 2nd stiffest setting right now, but I wanted to try out the 3rd.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Brian
Old 01-25-2003, 05:30 PM

Did you try disconnecting an endlink? Since the wheels are drooping, there's probably some load on the bar that's holding the bolt in place.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jack from the front using the official jack pad shown in the owner's manual near the oil pan. You may need to tap the bolt out and in. Some folks use a second bolt to keep the bar from shifting, too...
Old 01-25-2003, 06:41 PM

I bought a second complete bolt set and inserted it into the desired new hole before removing the original. Was extremely difficult to get a bolt in or out. Used a hammer and screwdriver the first time, and loosening the endlinks helped the second time, along with some penetrating oil on the bolt. Turning the bolt with the allen wrench while pushing it out from the other end also worked. I now have it set on the middle hole (running 17" 225/45 front 255/40 rear Michelin Pilot Sport Cups).
Old 01-26-2003, 11:23 PM

I'll give all the suggestions a try. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:35 AM

I just keep mine on the hardest setting for all uses.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iispms
[B]I just keep mine on the hardest setting for all uses.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]

I do, too (hole#5).
Old 02-04-2003, 04:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, please check you bar carefully. I used the old bar with the pin in 3 different positions, and all of them were cracked around the bolt hole sleeves that penetrate through the inner bar. I did have the bar apart previously and didn't notive the cracking, but the cracks were hidden by grease that I had applied to quiet the bar down. Also, you may notice deformation of the sleeved holes that allow the pin to rock back and forth. Compare the used holes with unused ones to see if this is the case.

I just received a replacement adjustable front anti-sway bar from Comptech and will install it tonight. The new bar is a lot beefier than the old bar and the specifications state different values for the various settings. On the old bar, stiffness ranged from ~26% more than stock to about 125% more than stock. The new bar claims to have stiffness values ranging from 162% to 278% stiffer!
*edit* This is incorrect information, the NEW bar has stiffness values 62% stiffer than stock to 178% stiffer than stock *edit*

My question is what are these values relative to, the older OEM MY 2000/2001 bar or the new, softer 2002/2003 bar? It would be very confounding if the original Comptech values were relative to the older OEM bar and the new values are relative to the new OEM bar. I was using the old Comptech bar on its stiffest setting and want to slightly increase that amount with the new one.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Coraldoc,
Did you weigh the new bar?

Quick Reply: Question: For those with Comptech Adj. Front sway bar