S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question for the HPDErs

Old 01-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jan 18 2008, 12:24 PM
That all depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is your definition of "significant".

It is a fact that rollover accidents are very rare on the street (and pretty rare on the track). It is a fact that having a hard piece of metal near your head is dangerous.

But "significantly increased risk" (or not) depends on a lot of factors that each person has to consider for himself.
Yes, that is what I said. That the decision comes down to each person's assessment of risk and management of said risk.

My head is so far from the bar when sitting in my car that I feel that in my case the roll bar doesn't pose significant (obviously by my definition) additional risk. The OP will have to judge for himself what he considers acceptable or significant and take action accordingly.

I'm not sure how else I can rephrase it.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 18 2008, 08:38 AM
I dont' have any data to back this up, but I would think that by using higher density padding Like the ones on this link would make it even less dangerous to drive on the street with a roll bar in case of an accident. I believe you can use this padding under the more common roll bar padding that is out there, which I think would reduce the risk of major injury should your head come in contact with the roll bar in case of an accident. Any thoughts?
According to some (who I'm sure don't have data either), the high densty padding is designed to cusion the blow when used in conjunction with an approved motorsports helmet. According to those same people, even high density padding would do significant damage to a human skull.

Now I don't remember seeing any data to that effect either so I don't purport to be able to determine if those persons are correct or not, just passing along some opinions that I've seen stated before.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 18 2008, 03:38 AM
I dont' have any data to back this up, but I would think that by using higher density padding Like the ones on this link would make it even less dangerous to drive on the street with a roll bar in case of an accident. I believe you can use this padding under the more common roll bar padding that is out there, which I think would reduce the risk of major injury should your head come in contact with the roll bar in case of an accident. Any thoughts?
I don't understand why you would say that without data. Have you ever actually touched real roll bar padding? It's hard as concrete for all your fingers care, it's definitely designed to be used with a helmet (think of how hard the foam padding is inside an SA helmet and you'll get an idea of roll bar padding).
Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=FormulaRedline,Jan 18 2008, 08:00 AM]I don't understand why you would say that without data.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vitt,Jan 18 2008, 11:16 AM
Yes, I actually used high density padding on the front upper bar on my track GSR. It's dense, but close to concrete? I don't think so. And I used the regular padding as well.

And FYI, I started my post saying I don't have any data to back it up. And I asked for thoughts about it. Go back and read it again.
I know you don't have data. I read your post, that's why I said it. If you've felt roll bar padding then you, like me, would want some data that is miraculously inconsistent with the conclusion my hands reach: that I would never want my un-helmeted head near that stuff.

Can you squish it between your fingers? I can't, hence the concrete as far as your fingers can tell statement.

My post wasn't offensive, don't get all bent out of shape. You should know if you've seen it that people that don't have first hand experience with roll bar padding just hear "foam" and "padding" and don't understand how hard this stuff really is. It's not designed to be a cushion, it's designed to deform and decelerate a helmet with a force that does not cause brain damage before it hits a metal bar that would decelerate it with a force that does.

I would venture that if your head ever hit this padding, it would deform just as much as the padding Better than a metal bar without a doubt, but still not safe in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM

^^ Can't squish it between my fingers but I can cut through it with a utility knife, Hence, unlike cement. I guess it comes down to chances and probability depending on various factors involved (as mentioned in the other posts).

My mistake on the post is that I should have put in a question form instead of statement form. But my point is, if you're going to use a roll bar on the streets (as I might in the future), does using this padding under the softer roll bar padding decrease the probability of head injury as opposed to using the softer padding alone?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Vitt,Jan 18 2008, 12:19 PM]^^ Can't squish it between my fingers but I can cut through it with a utility knife, Hence, unlike cement.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Jan 18 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm sure this under soft padding would be "safer" (not the same as safe)
....and it never will be. You'll never be able to define anything as safe without being subjective. How you personally define "safe" is solely dependent on your risk aversiveness and is bounded on the low end by the organization you run with. Track car safety is a continuum that starts with driving recklessly without a seat belt or helmet and approaches simply not driving at all.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Jan 18 2008, 11:27 AM
We'll obviously it's not really concrete

I'm sure this under soft padding would be "safer" (not the same as safe) than soft padding alone, but only because it happens not to be a steel tube.

I'm not saying I wouldn't put a roll bar in my street car, but I am saying I wouldn't feel safe if my head could contact that bar, no matter what padding was around it. My guess (I still need to see an S2000 bar in person) is that some shorter people would be ok. If I were you, I would try to sit in someone else's car and see how your head would fare. Within the limits of your seat belt, try to touch the bar with your head. If you can make it...that's not good.

Keep in mind that it's a trade off. In getting a bar you accept a medium chance of saving your life in a low probability (assuming light-medium track use) roll over situation in trade for a medium chance of brain damage/death in a relatively high probability (assuming daily driver) fender bender that would have left you unscathed normally. Most people generally do not make this trade in a street car since the fender bender is more likely than the roll over, with equally dire consequences. Either way you could die, which is of course why it's not a light topic here.
Agreed.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 18 2008, 12:39 PM
...and is bounded on the low end by the organization you run with...
That's something ppl seem to often overlook, while it may have a significant impact on the overall "probability" of you getting hurt from driving in HPDE events IMO.