S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question for the HPDErs

Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the clarification. In the context of the scope of this thread, your paragraph I quoted--a stand-alone paragraph, not a part of another paragraph--can easily be interpreted as I did, and I stand by my response.

As to driving on the street with a roll bar, I do that, to and from the track, with a full roll cage. I agree with you, in general. I note that there certainly can be a combination of driver size and roll bar installation which would, in my opinion, be unsuitably unsafe for daily driving, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that it's a bad idea without looking at the setup and driver.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jan 17 2008, 12:55 PM
OTOH, also ask the racer who made a mistake, hit some steep curbing (two cars in front of me), corkscrewed into the air, came down on his roof (Spec Miata), and only suffered a broken tooth and wrenched back (don't try that in your S2000 with just a little roll bar).
Roll bars work
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=m...bum&album=21612
Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jan 17 2008, 01:32 PM
In the context of the scope of this thread, your paragraph I quoted--a stand-alone paragraph, not a part of another paragraph--can easily be interpreted as I did, and I stand by my response.
The only context in which 1AP12NV's response should have been taken is as it pertained to the quote he was responding to. If that had been the case, you wouldn't have wasted the time on your oration.

Everyone(well, most everyone ) in this forum knows just how important safety is.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 17 2008, 10:34 AM
I would be very surprised if roll bars weren't fairly useful, in many (if not most) roll-over incidents on a track. Now, try it (or not) at 90mph on asphalt. I don't know about you, but if that's going to happen to me (as it can happen to anyone driving on a race track), I want to be inside of a full cage, with a window net to keep hands from flying out the window and getting crushed.

YMMV, evidently.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jan 17 2008, 10:40 AM
The only context in which 1AP12NV's response should have been taken is as it pertained to the quote he was responding to. If that had been the case, you wouldn't have wasted the time on your oration.

Everyone(well, most everyone ) in this forum knows just how important safety is.
Thank you for your helpful, thoughtful words. Not an oration, exactly, since it's written, but oh, so helpful nonetheless. And certainly not a waste of time (yours or mine).

Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 17 2008, 06:34 PM
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jan 17 2008, 09:11 AM
Had enough fun last year to do it again?!

Most clubs do not check the structural integrity of the bars. They more often than not simply check to see that you have one. SCCA would be the exception.

Also, we've rented the same track for Monday April 7. Perhaps you'll be able to join us again- stock hoops are fine.
Oh yea! Where do i sign up? I've been suffering from withdraw since then.

In regard to NASA. I was planning on joining since they will be running some events at thunderbolt. Does that mean even for regular hpde they will not approve a cusco 4 point bar? I think you answered this but just want to absolutely clarify.

I did try to find that info out on the scca site with no luck.

I dont' want to buy it and have it be worthless. Argh i really dont want to cut the plastice on the sides...guess i will just remove the whole thing.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sshim35563,Jan 17 2008, 04:36 PM
Oh yea! Where do i sign up? I've been suffering from withdraw since then.

In regard to NASA. I was planning on joining since they will be running some events at thunderbolt. Does that mean even for regular hpde they will not approve a cusco 4 point bar? I think you answered this but just want to absolutely clarify.

I did try to find that info out on the scca site with no luck.

I dont' want to buy it and have it be worthless. Argh i really dont want to cut the plastice on the sides...guess i will just remove the whole thing.
Registration is not up yet, but I'll be sure to post in the NY & Del-Val forums.

I can only speak with regards to how our NASA MA chapter has run things the last two years. I used a Safety21 bar in '06 and the first one or two events in '07. No one ever checked bar thickness or bends. The prudent thing would be to check with your local chapter. It used to be that our chapter's requirements only coincided with the track that we were using. They have since blanketed all events as requiring a rollbar.

Many of the guys here have elected to just leave the plastic pieces out completely.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=1AP12NV,Jan 17 2008, 10:14 AM]If you'll please go back and calmly re-read my post you'll see that I make reference to this a number of times and even explain my position that (again) IMO, judging from my sitting position in the S2000 that I feel that driving on the street occasionally with a roll bar such as the hard dog does not pose significantly increased risk to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AP12NV,Jan 17 2008, 10:14 AM
The assertion that some seem to be "overly cautious" IMO (which while it may differ from yours is mine and mine alone to form), was directed at the notion that driving a car to and from the track or occasionaly around town with a roll bar installed presents a significantly increased risk to the driver than driving a stock S2000 around town without an aftermarket roll bar.
That all depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is your definition of "significant".

It is a fact that rollover accidents are very rare on the street (and pretty rare on the track). It is a fact that having a hard piece of metal near your head is dangerous.

But "significantly increased risk" (or not) depends on a lot of factors that each person has to consider for himself.

Quick Reply: Question for the HPDErs