S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question for the HPDErs

Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2guinness,Jan 16 2008, 08:20 AM
I am seriously considering buying a s2000 for weekend/HPDE use but am concerned with the recent trend with HPDE restrictions on convertibles.
This mostly depends on what part of the country you live in.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless BMWCCA is the only track organization around you, I would not let the fact that the S2000 is a convertible dissuade you from purchasing it. You are right in saying that you "just can't seem to find a comparable car to the s2k in the used car market with comparable fun/performance/reliability" which is a hard compliment to earn for a car. I say if BMWCCA does not allow the car, get the S2000 and run with another group
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 16 2008, 05:03 PM
Unless BMWCCA is the only track organization around you, I would not let the fact that the S2000 is a convertible dissuade you from purchasing it.
In our area they are one of the only groups now that you can't run a stock S2000 with. However, our local BMWCCA has had no problem selling out most of their events, so they have no incentive to increase their liability. They are looking out for their club's interest, which it is their job to do.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree that they can do what want, but I would not let the rules of 1 organization affect my decision all that much on whether or not to purchase a car with a lot to offer.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 16 2008, 05:14 PM
I agree that they can do what want, but I would not let the rules of 1 organization affect my decision all that much on whether or not to purchase a car with a lot to offer.
Sure. But there is a reason for BMW Club's position. It is a simple fact that an S2000 without a cage is not as safe on the track as a car with an integral hard top. Nor is it as safe as a car with a roll cage.

I tracked my S2000 for three years, until I just couldn't justify the risk of driving a convertible with only stock roll hoops (not high enough for me in any event), at or close to the limit, any longer. As much fun as the car is, it's not worth the risk, to me.

The OP is looking to buy a car essentially as a track-only car. There are other cars quite comparable to the S2000 (the Z3 M coupe comes to mind, for instance), for the purposes of HPDE events, which are much safer. Or he could put a full cage in, with a hard top, which amounts to the same thing.

All I recommended was that, given his desires, the S2000 in anything like stock form may not be his best option, both from a rules standpoint, and from a safety standpoint. I still feel that way.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM

I am located in the NorthEast and the closest tracks are Limerock, Pocono and Thunderbolt/Lightning. Limerock may be a lost cause due to their new car club and I am not sure what the rules will be at Thunderbolt/Lightning.

The clubs I am aware of are PDA/NASA, BMW, PCA, Ferrari and I am sure there are others. I have heard that PCA may go the same route as BMW next year which would surprise me as that would strand the Boxster owners.

I agree the M coupe is a great choice, if I could find one for a comparable price to a used s2k I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

NJ Motorsports Park(Thunder/Lightning) requires an aftermarket rollbar for participation on its track. I know this because we inquired about renting the track for Fall Colors 2008.

NASA Mid-Atlantic requires a rollbar of some sort(they are not inspected). Not sure about NASA NE. SCCA will allow you to run PDX I & II with stock equipment. Pocono allows stock S's. As was stated, BMW does not allow convertibles, but there are many options to you that either allow your car to run stock or with the addition of a simple rollbar. Eventually, I guess they'll start requiring harnesses if a vehicle is equipped with a bar.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by s2guinness,Jan 16 2008, 10:40 PM
The clubs I am aware of are PDA/NASA, BMW, PCA, Ferrari and I am sure there are others.
COMSCC is another great driving group if you are in New England. For the Northeast, you can easily fill an HPDE season with non-BMW/PCA events.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jan 16 2008, 07:57 PM
COMSCC is another great driving group if you are in New England.
Ditto, COMSCC is a GREAT club. Two-day format: day one driver's school, day two practice/time trials. Good way to compete without risking contact. Throw in a ~$600 Hard Dog roll bar and you're in. If you're up for a little travel, we go to Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Calabogie, Watkins Glen, and New Hampshire Int'l Spdwy. Unfortunate deal w/ Lime Rock, looks like they're off our schedule for '08

www.comscc.com
Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 AM

I really doubt Porsche will have the same convertable rules as the BMW club...
Ive run with PDA years ago with no bar and they didnt care. You have many other groups you can run with, including www.carguys.com. Go to each individual tracks webpage and look at thier schedules...

Quick Reply: Question for the HPDErs