S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question for the HPDErs

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the HPDErs

I am seriously considering buying a s2000 for weekend/HPDE use but am concerned with the recent trend with HPDE restrictions on convertibles.
I know some will allow hard-tops and roll bars but my understanding is that going forward some clubs/tracks(BMW) are planning on not allowing verts at all.

Is this a valid concern, do you folks without a dedicated track car that has a cage have issues finding places to run?
Thanks folks, I just can't seem to find a comparable car to the s2k in the used car market with comparable fun/performance/reliability.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ehh just get one cage it and race it!!!!
on the other questions I do not know.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ban convertibles with rollbars or cages? Like a Spec Miata? Why?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM

I agree it doesn't make sense as it would prevent alot of cars from going to the track including some classics. I would also think a convertible with a cage is safer than a coupe without.

I am pretty sure I saw someone with this issue on the miata board so will try to dig up that thread.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM

I haven't heard of any clubs other than BMW going this route (perhaps I just haven't heard of them?).

No problems around here with S's with a suitable rollbar (like the hard dog)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Jan 16 2008, 09:10 AM
Ban convertibles with rollbars or cages? Like a Spec Miata? Why?

With a rollbar and you should meet the requirements of most organizations.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM

It doesn't make sense that they would ban convertibles that have a roll bar/roll cage and a hard top.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM

The local (Seattle area) BMW club has banned all convertibles, even those with cages, from their track days. They don't want to have to make judgment calls as to whether a convertible is "safe," so they just banned all of them. While I think that they could/should have made an exception for cars that pass SCCA tech inspection for road racing, they didn't want the hassle.

If I were looking for a track-only car, I'd certainly check the major sponsors of track days in your area, to see what restrictions there are. More and more such organizations aren't allowing convertibles without full roll bars; with this, I agree, since many of us stick well above the protection provided by windshield frame/roll hoops.

Frankly, as much as I love my S2000, and as much as it's an excellent track car, if I were buying a track-only car, I'd get a sedan or a Spec Miata. Or plan on putting a full cage into a convertible, if that's what you wanted. I've seen too many roll-over accidents during track days to find any comfort in roll hoops; most good roll bars won't allow you to operate the soft top on the S2000 anyway, so you may as well make it really safe.

I'll warn you, however, from personal experience--If you have a car that can be raced, and you like track-driving, you'll be sorely tempted to start racing. Not that that's a bad thing (I just love it), but it's a serious drain on the critical resources of time and money.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jan 16 2008, 10:46 AM
Frankly, as much as I love my S2000, and as much as it's an excellent track car, if I were buying a track-only car, I'd get a sedan or a Spec Miata.
If I were getting a track car today and didn't have the S, I would get something with a roof. Even though I installed a HD roll bar right away, it was sometimes a pain when tall instructors would object to sitting in my car. I've been at track days when I had to switch to a shorter instructor so that his helmet wouldn't stick out above the roll bar.

I even debated long and hard about whether I should track my RX8 instead of the S. In the end, I liked tracking the S, so I'm sticking with it. I just bought a hard top and will get race seats in the future, so hopefully, I won't run into these problems anymore. Also, NASA MA requires all convertibles to run with the top down rain or shine.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks for your insight gentlemen. Its a shame Honda didn't make a s2000 coupe considering how good the hard top looks. While it would be nice to buy one and cage it, I think I need the flexibility of being able to drive it to the track so my search may move to the e36 M3 or a 350z.

Quick Reply: Question for the HPDErs