S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Question about a leased s2000 on a track...

Old 10-19-2003, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a leased s2000 on a track...

Hi all,
I was wondering if you could answer some of my concerns about tracking a leased car. What would happen if I were to get in an accident on the track?(something like an open track event) Could I claim insurance? How would that work? Please feel free to post or pm me with any of your experiences or advice. Thanks in advance!

jobie
Old 10-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you're able to claim the HPDE was an educational event, i.e., you were being instructed with the ultimate aim being better car control, then it's my understanding* that you should be able to collect from your insurance company in case of a mishap. You might want to check with the people running the event if they have any insight. In any case, you can bet your ass that your insurance company will try not to pay but that doesn't mean they won't eventually.

There are questions about whether or not the events are being timed...and that's not an open and shut question either. I've heard from some people that the presence of timing doesn't negate your insurance coverage.

The best thing you can do is read your policy carefully to determine the exclusions to coverage. Leasing has little bearing on your insurance coverage but you'll still be on the hook for the payments plus the residual value as defined in your contract.

*I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. These opinions are my own. Your mileage may vary. Some settling of contents may have occured during shipping and handling.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same applies to a purchased car. There's no difference between a leased car and one you own...
Old 10-20-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read your insurance policy, it's usually described in there.
Mine explicitly states something to the effect that I will be covered as long as it is a non-competitive, untimed event.
Therefore, I'm SOL if I crash at an autocross, but I'm covered if I crash at a "Driver's Training Event".
Old 10-24-2003, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the reply. I will check my insurance. Does anyone have experience with dealing with their insurance company after an accident on the track?