S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Quality of OEM replacement rotors

Old 04-01-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of OEM replacement rotors

Is there any difference in quality between OEM Honda, Brembo, Colbolt, and just some cheap ass rotors from Advanced Autoparts?

I'm about replace my brakes and as you all probably know there are a lot of different rotors out there to chose from. I'm only interested in OEM style solid disks, so that eliminates the cd/slotted rotors. I know the OEM rotors are great, they have lasted me 87K miles. I've used Brembo replacements on a Civic a while ago. However, I couldn't tell any difference between the Brembo's and some no name cheapies. So is there one?

I'm asking in this forum because I believe you all go through brakes pretty quickly. There are also quite a few people in here that run the Cobalt GT-Sports that I will be running.

(sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I couldn't find the info when I searched)
Old 04-01-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrboInteg,Apr 1 2006, 09:26 PM
I know the OEM rotors are great, they have lasted me 87K miles.

I'm asking in this forum because I believe you all go through brakes pretty quickly.
Wrong forum. We use up rotors in a matter of days. Our rotors never "wear out", they fail due to heat cycles. So our experience is not really relevant.

That being said, you are talking about something that will last you years. Don't sweat $5 or even $25 price difference. If the Honda parts worked fine for you, just buy more of them.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 2 2006, 01:09 AM
Wrong forum. We use up rotors in a matter of days. Our rotors never "wear out", they fail due to heat cycles. So our experience is not really relevant.
While I appreciate your comments, they don't really answer my question. Are you telling me that all your rotors wear out/fail at the same time? So it doesn't matter then which ones people buy, they are all created equal. While that might be true due to the design of them all being so similar, I would have thought that one may or may not use better materials for a slightly more durable product.

I just have to downright disagree with you about members of this forums experiences not being relevant. Motorsports is greatest test to a products reliability and durability.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a fair question to me and in the right forum. It's something I've been wondering about too.

Speed magazine did a comparison of 5 tuned S2000s recently. Only one car (with a Brembo BBK) stopped quicker than the stock car. (I know that there's more to the issue - brake fade).

Lots of people keep the OEM rotors. I'd go with another option just for the looks of a slotted rotor, but don't want to lose stopping distance.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:17 AM

If your rotors are lasting up to 80k+ miles then go with the cheapest price. I would.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Of course it's just my opinion, but you guys don't seem to have any idea of the difference between how a rotor works or fails in a track environment and how it works for fails in a street environment. It's just not the case that "the true test of reliability and durability" is motorsports. Long-haul trucking is a true test of reliability and durability, but what works there is not necessarily the same thing that works on a Formula Ford or ETCC race car. And neither has much to do with commuting in stop-and-go traffic, which is another test of reliability and durability.

For what it's worth, I'm currently using (and using up) OEM rotors on the track. For the street, I am using (and barely breaking in) a set of the G3000 rotors sold by the Go-Fast lab. I like the painted hubs -- helps keep the rust down.

IMO, on the street it is unlikely to make any difference what brand or style you buy. And since they will last long enough to make the cost difference negligible, it probably makes sense to either buy what looks best to you (if you care) or whatever makes you feel most comfortable. If I had a set of OEM brakes that lasted me for 87K miles, I would just replace them with more of the same. But do what you like, it's your money and your car.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 PM

I feel that Honda can give me a great rotor as the first ones lasted quite a while. A friend suggested the G3000. I like the painted hubs also. But, after reading Cobalts web site, the stated that it was produced using best raw materials or something to the effect. That's what prompted my initial question of is there a difference.

This year I want to try my hand at a little autocrossing, that is why I was interested in knowing if all rotors are created equal. If the GT-sport pads will tear up a set of Honda or G3000 rotors just a quick as a set of Brembos, it wouldn't make much seance to spend the extra money provided the Brembos last the same amount of time.

Going with a cheaper set of rotors will only save about $100. That's not much, but Id rather not waste it either on something that makes no difference. I can get half a tire with that.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TrboInteg,Apr 2 2006, 04:44 PM
This year I want to try my hand at a little autocrossing, that is why I was interested in knowing if all rotors are created equal. If the GT-sport pads will tear up a set of Honda or G3000 rotors just a quick as a set of Brembos, it wouldn't make much seance to spend the extra money provided the Brembos last the same amount of time.
OK, so you should have asked that. No need to get a special rotor for autocross or for the GT-S pads. Any OEM-style rotor will do fine, and no rotor will do better.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 2 2006, 07:53 PM
Any OEM-style rotor will do fine, and no rotor will do better.
That's what I thought, but never having any experience, I wanted to ask. Thanks for your insight. It's really appreciated.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it aint broke, don't fix it [as they say]