S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Q: for people that have gone fast with a big rear wing

Old 11-26-2002, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Even less so without a rollbar.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by S2kRob
Have you thought of running a rear diffuser instead of a big-ass wing?
I hope to test this out soon the next chance I have, a wing is on my aero-list if things are unsettled.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:22 PM
jzr

Thought about it, but it's harder to calculate the projected contribution to downforce, which for me is half the fun. While I think a diffuser would certainly be valuable, ultimately it would be less effective than a wing if one were just doing one aero mod in the rear, to stay within the SpeedVentues classing points scheme. Plus I can't poke holes in my car due to autocross regs, and trunklids are more available than red bumpers.

This is a nice looking piece:

Wind tunnel tested, only $2700, though it mandates use of their $1500 exhaust. Coupled with the $1200 wing it's well into supercharger cost territory...
Old 11-26-2002, 09:26 PM

hopefully this thing will be of some use. the picture is kinda old.

Old 11-29-2002, 02:14 PM

i am planning on downforce for SOW 12/13....actually by 12/2, and for Infineon Raceway 12/9-10
Old 11-29-2002, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]This is a nice looking piece:

Wind tunnel tested, only $2700, though it mandates use of their $1500 exhaust.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Saini
[B]

These pieces were all designed to go together, and the 300lb of downforce was created with the Mugen hardtop, wing, and diffuser.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Saini
[B]These pieces were all designed to go together, and the 300lb of downforce was created with the Mugen hardtop, wing, and diffuser.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:28 AM

jzr, having installed the RM dam now, I'm thinking that it will not create as much downforce in the front as a wing could in the rear. So the car will be biased toward push, with more push the faster you go. Push has always been an issue with my car on the open track, so I think I would end up under utilizing the wing at a low angle of attack to keep a neutral balance at all speeds.

According to a prior post, the car has 88lbs of lift in the rear at 125mph. That is not a lot in my opinion. It may be that some sort of a simple spoiler would be sufficient. I going to start with a factory spoiler and possibly attached an additional lip along its rear edge.

I also considered the Mugen three piece spoiler, but I don't think the side fins are a good idea. As the car starts to rotate, you don't want rear downforce to abruptly decrease. The Mugen side pieces may have a tendency to do this. I perfer a more rounded shape like the factory piece.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:57 AM
jzr

I think you're right Mike, that a wing could do more for the car than the RM dam does.

It's interesting that you find your car a consistent pusher. At least in my hands, my car (with stock suspenion and 225/245 tires) only pushes when there's an inch of water on the ground. Could be the '01<>'02 suspension difference at work.

For my initial stab at a rear wing I'm doing a simple flat plate spoiler, built to the regulations of the SCCA's SoloII Street Prepared class. Parts on the way from McMaster. After some additional reading, I know now what you meant about a spoiler increasing pressure over the rear of the car, this is the type of spoiler that will (hopefully) do that.

If it actually works and I like how the car performs with the ducktail, I may end up building a proper wing/airfoil as originally envisioned. Eventually I want it to be movable but haven't worked out the 4th pedal arrangement.

Nobody has mentioned any ill effects as the result of their rear wings, so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything's going to work okay!

Quick Reply: Q: for people that have gone fast with a big rear wing