S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Project Mu HC+

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Croc, spongy/soft pedal has very little to do with pad compound. Considering the EBC pad is an organic compound, it is much more compressible than the carbon metallic compound that of the HC+800.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

1. what exactly do you imply? that i didn't feel what i felt?
this i would i say quite a long shot...

2. EBC states "EBC Yellowstuff is an aramid fibre based brake compound".
WIKI states:
Aramid fibers are a class of heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers.
The most well-known aramids (Kevlar, Twaron, Nomex, New Star and Teijinconex) are AABB polymers.

so even with pure facts it seems like you went wrong.

anyway - i felt what i felt.
it was consistent with going from Yellow to HC+800 and back yo Yellow.
it was at rear axle though - what ever this might mean.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Theres no need for any hostility here.... I thought I had edited my response but I guess not. What I meant to edit in earlier was that perhaps the issue lies somewhere else within your brake system. Because even though different brake compounds present different feel and performance characteristics, a simple change from one brake compound to another isnt enough to drastically cause the brake pedal to suddenly feel soft. When brake fluid boils the brake pedal goes soft, when the brake PADS fade, the pedal feels normal but the car doesnt stop well since the pads are starting to lose its friction properties.

And "aramid fiber" based compounds are typically considered Organic... Heres a good read: http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
i'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

1. what exactly do you imply? that i didn't feel what i felt?
this i would i say quite a long shot...

2. EBC states "EBC Yellowstuff is an aramid fibre based brake compound".
WIKI states:
Aramid fibers are a class of heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers.
The most well-known aramids (Kevlar, Twaron, Nomex, New Star and Teijinconex) are AABB polymers.

so even with pure facts it seems like you went wrong.

anyway - i felt what i felt.
it was consistent with going from Yellow to HC+800 and back yo Yellow.
it was at rear axle though - what ever this might mean.
You only ran them on the rear?

Just to note as well, a good friend of mine uses the HC+800 on his Audi S4 with Alcon 6 pot, and floating discs, and is also a big fan of them compared to many other pads he as tried. His use is the same as mine.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM

yea - i know.
i really was expecting good performance from them.
but in my case they didn't work.
as stated initially they were at the rear. at front i had at this time EBC Yellow and PFC 97.

the mechanic said that they got overheated - i'm not sure how he could tell. if he's right - i assume that their temp got too high for them and they started to overheat like crazy and than brake fluid started to boil.
the thing is i expected them to have similar working temp range to Yellows.... IIRC their tech data says they should've...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yea - i know.
i really was expecting good performance from them.
but in my case they didn't work.
as stated initially they were at the rear. at front i had at this time EBC Yellow and PFC 97.

the mechanic said that they got overheated - i'm not sure how he could tell. if he's right - i assume that their temp got too high for them and they started to overheat like crazy and than brake fluid started to boil.
the thing is i expected them to have similar working temp range to Yellows.... IIRC their tech data says they should've...
Whatever works best for you is whatever you should run. Brake pad suggestions are all based on experiences and preferences. Personally, I have melted EBC Yellows on a friend's car so I don't really want to run those on my car. PFC97 sound like a great compound, but that doesn't quite match up to a HC+800. Have you thought about the Club Racers instead?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM

you say that PFC97 is weaker than HC+800?
i liked a lot PFC97's performance and feel (at front in Wilwood Dynalite caliper) but they dust like crazy and it sticks to wheels.
i'm taking them out before the next drive.
i think i will try Wilwood BP20 next.
any other suggestions are welcome. (Wilwood 7112 pad shape)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you say that PFC97 is weaker than HC+800?
i liked a lot PFC97's performance and feel (at front in Wilwood Dynalite caliper) but they dust like crazy and it sticks to wheels.
i'm taking them out before the next drive.
i think i will try Wilwood BP20 next.
any other suggestions are welcome. (Wilwood 7112 pad shape)
PFC 97 should be closer to the PMU Club Racer pads than the HC+800 pads. PFC97 is a full track pad. Club Racer is a full track pad. HC+800 is a street/track crossover brake pad. I don't know where Yellow stuff lies, but I melted them...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM

no wonders i liked 97
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
PFC 97 should be closer to the PMU Club Racer pads than the HC+800 pads. PFC97 is a full track pad. Club Racer is a full track pad. HC+800 is a street/track crossover brake pad. I don't know where Yellow stuff lies, but I melted them...
Very true, the PFC97 is considered a medium friction race compound. IMHO I have nothing good to say about any of the EBC line of pads for track use The EBC Yellows are said to be race pads but they certainly dont perform like it. I would compare them with lower tier street pads like the Porterfield R4S, Hawk HP+, Stoptech street performance or Axxis ult.

Quick Reply: Project Mu HC+