S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Popping out of gear?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Popping out of gear?

So, to start, i probably have about 7-8 track days on my transmission fluid and 13K miles (it's my DD).

Today at ACS I was popping out of 2nd gear for turns 3/4 but I'm wondering if it's because i'm screwing up my shifting trying to focus on braking. If I focused on really putting it in gear, I didn't really have a problem.

One thing I'm wondering in general, is if you're IN gear should you be able to pull it out of gear and into neutral w/o stepping on the clutch? I've never tried this before (I always step on the clutch... duh - haha), but decided to give it a shot on the way home today. I was able to pop it out of gear in second, third, and fifth (I didn't try first, fourth, or sixth) at relatively low speeds - 20 ish MPH - off of the throttle just coasting. Should I be able to do this? I didn't hear any grinding of any sort or any sounds what so ever, it just seemed like a little bit more than the normal force you'd use for normal shifting. Of course, when putting it back into gear, i used the clutch, I didn't even try being stupid like that...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a TSB out for ap2s popping out of 2nd gear on deceleration, The dealership should be able to help you out.

Eric
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the info.

I'll sort it out at my next track day. It only happened at this track. I was at an auto-x on Sat (the day before), running in 2nd the whole time and not once did it pop out of gear. My next track day will give me a clearer indicator, although there's only 1 second gear turn at that track.

I'm thinking maybe i'm just messing up the shift (that's my hope anyway), since it's a 120ish MPH in 6th down to 2nd tight chicane, additionally, I was tired toward the end of the day and managing super greasy worn out tires.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, I'd just change the tranny fluid. Its a 10 min job, and costs about $25 in fluids.
I do mine ~every 15K or once a year.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it. I change mine every 4 or 5 track days. The shifting definitely improves afterwards.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM

ok, thanks all. Will definitely replace fluids and check it out at my next track day in September.

Any clues as to being able to pull out of gear without stepping on teh clutch? is that normal?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullwings
ok, thanks all. Will definitely replace fluids and check it out at my next track day in September.

Any clues as to being able to pull out of gear without stepping on teh clutch? is that normal?
Yes, I think it's normal to be able to push the shifter out of gear with out using the clutch.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robinson
Originally Posted by Bullwings' timestamp='1313530677' post='20884226

Yes, I think it's normal to be able to push the shifter out of gear with out using the clutch.
+1 it is 'normal', in fact it is normal to be able to never use a clutch to shift after starting the car moving. This does not mean that it is good for the transmission to do so (especially shifting into gear without using the clutch).
Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're not touching the shifter and it's popping out of gear you definitely have a problem. Changing the fluid won't make a difference on this one but it couldn't hurt.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you getting it in gear for sure and then having it pop out or are you just thinking it's in 2nd and then it pops out? or in fact actually never really made it into second. On my first s2k (05 ap2) as I was going into second a lot of times I would think I had it all the way in gear but I really wasn't so it felt like I caught the gear for just a split second and then it would pop back to neutral. I realized I just wasn't getting it all the way in gear.

Quick Reply: Popping out of gear?