S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Please help

Old 04-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

...I know the title was really horrible, but really i couldnt think of anything better. Well I'm 14, and I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do when i grow up. Ussually, parents want their kids to grow up and be doctors and other "important" things, but I gathered up enough courage to tell them that i want to be a pro. driver. I'm a real n00b when it comes to this topic, but i just need answers to these questions:
1. is it too late to pursue this?
2. how should i start, if its not too late

yeah..im just really confused about everything right now, because ive never thought about the things it requires to be in this field.

if you dont have the answers, links would be nice

its really hard doing this( being a complete dumbass) but i appreciate the help
Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM

You should start with Karting, it is the steping stone to everywhere and the most fun you will ever have for the money.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:16 PM

My probably obvious suggestion would be to get into Karting. Sprint and or shifter Karts have been the starting point for more than one famous Pro driver. The other thing is that its going to be expensive and you are going to have to work your butt off to make it happen let alone keep it going.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:00 PM

what is the age range in the karting scene?
Would you say karting is mandatory if you want to be recognized?
From what I hear, karting is affordable now..am i mistaken?
Lastly, just what kind of "pros" start in it?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:17 PM
pll

Kimi Raikkonen went from karting straight to Formula 1...
Michael Schumacher started in karting...
Juan Pablo Montoya started in karting...

etc...
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 PM

If you can consistently win in Karting against people in your age group, and can advance to bigger karting events, and can win in bigger national events like the Stars of Tomorrow http://www.lasvegaskarting.com/schedule/sot_sched.htm

then you might have a chance at becoming a Pro Driver and making a living doing it. If you can win at karts, you have potential to win at cars. If you can't win at karts, you ain't gonna win in cars.

It is kinda like becoming an NBA player. There are about 330 pro basketball players in the world that make enough money playing basketball so they can raise a family, pay bills, and own a house/condo. The other 20 million weekend warrior players buy their own shoes/socks/tank tops, and play at the local park/gym, and struggle like hell to become one of the 330 pros.

My wild-ass-guess is that there are probably 330 pro drivers that make a decent living. The other 20 million weekend warriors spend their own cash, and are going broke living the wanna-be-pro/wish-I-was-a-pro dream.

I see karters starting as young as 6-7 years old at the karting track. I would go to your local outdoor karting track and see what lessons/racing series are available for your age. Most people start with single speed karts.

If ya can't win at karts, you might want to start hitting those books really hard, as the go-fast crack pipe ain't cheap.....

-Doug
I'm one of the 20 million.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Karts and parents with cash willing to spend it on ya. It costs a bunch of money so if you don't have it then your chances of actually making a living driving someone elses car is slim (not much better with cash either).

You should plan on a real career and a real education. Then get your parents to commit money and time to karting. You need to travel, have good equipment and a support system. If you make it to the top 10 in the world you've got a shot at pro driving. Otherwise you'll be standing on the side of the track with an "I'll drive for food" sign like the rest of us.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by pll
Kimi Raikkonen went from karting straight to Formula 1...
Michael Schumacher started in karting...
Juan Pablo Montoya started in karting...

etc...
Paul Tracy too
Old 04-23-2003, 01:34 PM

thx everyone!....lol doug, were those teeth on your car real?

one last thing though..since I'm already 14, do you think its really possible for me to pursue this? or should i have been thinking about this long ago?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:28 PM

There are examples of pro drivers who have started late in life at racing. 14 is not early, but not too late. If you have the talent, the desire and the resources it is possible. Contacts help a lot - who you know can be very important.

That being said, you may not want to place all of your eggs in one basket. If you are currently getting good marks in school - stay there. Get into karting on the weekends. If school is not your thing, consider an apprenticeship in mechanics with a race team - get into karting on the weekends.

The probability of making a living at racing is very low. Look at F1 - 20 drivers! The industrialized world may have 100,000,000 adults (mostly males) of racing age. Probably less than 500 are stars!

Follow your heart, but listen to your brain. Unless you are wealthy, win a lottery or marry into money, in 4 to 10 years you will be working for a living to support yourself. Make it something you enjoy.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Please help