S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Peru National Tour results

Old 07-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two thoughts are prompted by these results:

Yet more proof that the stock shocks aren't that bad!

Damn Illinois / Wisconsin has some fast S2000 drivers! Is it something in the water or the beer?

Andy H.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Colin, you drove a great event and surely will be one of the top contenders in Topeka - as will Mike and Steve. This was, however, only my third autocross of the year, and on a third different tire brand. Car was finally working better on Sunday, and with our testing schedule, we'll have everything figured out before Nationals!

Interestingly - and if you guys are bored, you can do a search - I said late last year when the 710 was gaining dominance that I thought the A3S04 was perfectly suited for the S2000, and that the Kumho wouldn't really give us an advantage. Then, at Walnut Ridge, the Kumho seemed to work really well while I slid around on S04's. Now it appears that was mainly due to the peculiar surface at Walnut Ridge. It appears that the S04's are just fine on grippy surfaces, if not better!!!

At Oscoda, I tried the Hankook, and it worked really well - with raw times that would have challenged for the win. Unfortunately, with road racing taking up so much time I haven't checked the alignment in a while - and a lack of front toe combined with a numb feel from the Hankook caused some of the errors that made dirty runs. The rain of Sunday morning erased any chances for redemtion. I only found the toe-problem out while prepping for Peru.

Enter Peru, where I tried the S05 and Hankook back-to-back on the practice course. Turns out I ran the exact same time with both tires, but chose to run the S05's because of a more familiar feel. Also, I felt that they would be better on Saturday after a heat cycle.

Saturday, the course consisted of two slaloms - one slow, one mid-speed - that were followed by some very slow twisty bits. In these sections, I was getting massive understeer with the improved traction the rear S05's were giving me. Interestingly, I think this course benefitted stock shocks, as the looseness of that setup paid dividends in the slow/mid speed turns. I took toe out of the rear on Sunday to improve that, and the car was much better. Our setup was much more suited to the high speed corners in the return section on Sunday.

Now it's time for some testing and development before Nationals... the over6racing skunk-works has been devising a cheating-bastard swaybar for quite some time, and it's time for the prototype to undergo testing. August will bring some rigorous tire and chassis testing sessions to prepare for the big show.

The best part of all this is that once we all get to Topeka, we'll be so on top of our game that the West Coast won't know what hit 'em!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:39 PM

I agree, Jason. I also think the Hoosier is a match for the V710's on the S2000. I'll be doing some back to back testing this coming weekend and we'll see what comes of it.

With luck, when the big show rolls around, the midwest boys won't know what hit them!

Andy H.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The concrete was a first for me and boy, is it different. Saturday was spent trying to figure out the available traction. I basically drove too slow on the transitional stuff and too fast in the sweepers. Sunday was a lot better for me and I finally started to get the hang of it.

My steering inputs were too abrupt too. When you're on asphalt you can get away with jerky inputs because the tire will just slide a little until it settles down. On concrete, you better be smooth cause the tires just stick.

I would also recomend against running 225's on all four corners on concrete. I had the Comptech bar on full stiff and I was not able to get even the slightest hint of understeer while I was able to get oversteer just about any time I wanted it. At my local asphalt sites, I get a little understeer in this configuration.

Well, all in all, I have a lot of driving to do. (I wonder what Steve was smoking when he came to Atlanta?)

I wish I had an incar vid of Colin. I bet there's a lot to learn there.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 AM

I wish I had in car video as well, what do you guys recommend for a nice cheap camera that I can get the video onto the internet with? Jason and Steve I know want to see video too, I am just curious to watch what I am doing.
-Colin Fiedler
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 AM

At $400, while not exactly cheap, the Sony DV cam I'm using works really well for being entry level. I would expect to pay no less than 350 for a decent camera unless you buy something used.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:04 AM

Camera
Probably the cheapest place is e-bay, at least that's what they tell me.

Atlanta
Its a weak excuse, but I was still very rusty there, as that was only my 2nd & 3rd events of the year after my season ended back in Oct. '04. I was trying to figure out which tires were fast (710 vs S04) and had no idea where to set my revalved shocks and new reservoirs. I should have been concentrating on driving and not set-up, but the engineer geek in me loves to turn the knobs. In fact, I don't think I've been in proper form this year until Sunday at Toledo, June 12. My blood line isn't blessed with the go-fast racing gene like a Fiedler or Saini, so it takes me a fair bit to get back up to speed.

Peru
My best run on Sat. was definitely my 2nd run, the one with 2 cones. Those weren't murdered cones, so the raw time was definitely there. In fact after that run, I expected a 55.5 was in my grasp. I was honestly surprized when I came in with a 56.7, and was expecting a low 56/high 55. Those are the worst. I think Saturday's course may have been the most technical course I've ever driven. Places where you normally get penalized 0.1 for a small error felt like they cost 0.25 or more on that course.

Speaking of video, I've got some great stuff, but still have no place to host it. At this point, I'd even pay a reasonable sum for a decent bandwidth host. Any suggestions?

Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 06:10 AM

that was the most fun i've had in a long time. great battle guys!!

too bad nobody fast in a c4 showed up for the weekend
Old 07-05-2005, 06:23 AM

Steve, what camera do you have again? Your video is always great quality, I would maybe go in with you for some place to host once I get my video up and running.
-Colin Fiedler
Old 07-05-2005, 06:33 AM

Yeah Mike, you sure are slow, jesus man. You did so poorly at Nationals last year, such a disgrace. Now tell me, wasn't last year the year you had no brakes? That sure would effect your position. Just so you guys know, Mike is an incredible C4 driver, so think before you start talking shit about people.
-Colin Fiedler

Quick Reply: Peru National Tour results