S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which pads to go with?

Old 08-06-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be heading down to LMS the 17th and still haven't replaced my stock pads yet. Several of the guys I've talked to on line and at VIR have suggested Carbotech Panther +. Then a fellow tells me he warped his rotors using them! I want the extra stopping power but not the unnecessary cost of new rotors etc. Has anyone had a bad experience using these pads on their S2000? Feel free to voice your thoughts and suggest any other pads that would get the job done and leave my rotors usable. Thanks for your input.

tm
Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 AM
pfb

Very happy with the Panther Plus pads... I'm on my third set, no rotor warpage. They are a *riveted* pad, so you will trash your rotors with the rivets if you let the pads wear down to much.

I suggest removing the dust shields (easy) or installing cooling ducts (not so easy) to keep the heat down.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:20 AM

I have two track days with the Panther Plus pads, no issues. They squeak when cold but rotors are smooth and true. The pads are wearing well too, still lots of material left. I destroyed my stock pads after two track days.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:03 PM

Pyloncollector,

How many miles did you have on your OE pads when you did your first track weekend? If I have enough pad left on my OEs I may just leave them on for the event. I have 17k on my S and the Honda/Acura shop tech (he has driven SCCA competition events) that is doing my tech inspection says that he would use the OE pads for this first DE event, then upgrade to track pads the next time around if I still have the desire.

tm
Old 08-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's not extra stopping power you're getting with aftermarket pads; it's the higher heat range they're designed for. Stock pads are designed for the heat ranges typically seen on the street; Panther + and similar bump that up a level, and then full race pads bump it up yet another level. Going with stock pads is a hit/miss situation. For a lot of people they are adequate for the first time on the track but it's possible to cook the stock pads even on your first day.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:57 AM
KGB

Do not use stock pads on a roadcourse, unless you are really a novice and plan to take it easy. A driver with some roadcourse experience will turn the stock pads into ashes in the S2k.

Panther Plus in my experience has concrete-like dust that is impossible to get off if you don't immediately clean your wheels after the event. Also I think P+ are hard on rotors, but it may be that any race pad is hard on rotors.

My current favorite is Cobalt Friction race set up for the S2k.

Couple other observations - do not run your pads down too low or the chances of melting the dust seals on the calipers are high. Run some good brake fluid: Motul 600, ATE, Castrol SRF, etc.

Drew
Old 08-10-2003, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hated the Panther + pads. I've been very pleased with Porterfield R4 pads.....even on the street. They warm up very quickly and can take plenty of heat.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OE pads will glaze after getting overheated and ruin your day.. do not use them unless you plan slow speed practice. They are fine street pads but unacceptable for track use.

The P+ pads have served me well and I find the dust washes right off.. The rivets are very soft and I have not seen that they damage the rotors.

A high performance fluid is a requirement for track use. Even something as cheap as Syntec available at the parts store is much better at taking heat than the OEM fluid.