S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

OS Giken Install

Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS Giken Install

I'm prepping to install OS Giken LSD into my AP1 S2K - swap out the Torsen in my stock diff.

Any guidance or DIYs out there - I haven't been successful in searching?

Any other work you recommend I take care of while the diff is out?

I'm planning on doing:
* hubs
* bearings
* add drivetrain spacer
* diff mounts

Thanks in advance - appreciate the input!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a straight forward job if your going to add diff bushings and axle spacers I would do them both now enless you are getting the two part axle spacers then it doesn't matter. The only thing that I can say will be a big help is a stubby 6mm Allen in 1/4 drive for the drive shaft and make sure it's in all the way before trying to loosen it. Pop the lower ball joint out to remove the axles (there's a really long pin on each going into the diff which is why it will be easyier to do one piece spacers now) then the cross bar under the diff then the diff. When putting all back together remember to use blue lock tight on the driveshaft and axle bolts and get the axle nut tight enough.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What about the bearing caps, being an AP1? I've seen scary pictures, and PuddyMOD and others make upgrades.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by summitrider2012
It's a straight forward job if your going to add diff bushings and axle spacers I would do them both now enless you are getting the two part axle spacers then it doesn't matter. The only thing that I can say will be a big help is a stubby 6mm Allen in 1/4 drive for the drive shaft and make sure it's in all the way before trying to loosen it. Pop the lower ball joint out to remove the axles (there's a really long pin on each going into the diff which is why it will be easyier to do one piece spacers now) then the cross bar under the diff then the diff. When putting all back together remember to use blue lock tight on the driveshaft and axle bolts and get the axle nut tight enough.

they are 8mm allens FYI. just want to make sure its correct for anyone using this thread as reference.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
Originally Posted by summitrider2012' timestamp='1445477161' post='23782756

they are 8mm allens FYI. just want to make sure its correct for anyone using this thread as reference.
I thought ap1 uses a 6mm and ap2 uses the more friendly 8mm???
Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys.

I've been doing some further research and also got a response from OSG.

Couple updates -
* Per OSG, the OSG diff is a direct drop-in, no modifications required
* I'm not changing my gears, keeping stock AP1 ratios
* I'm not planning on changing the diff bearings, unless something looks terrible
* I found this amazing diff rebuild video on youtube
* I'll replace the diff seals, not sure what else I should replace in the diff while I'm doing this... TBD

Questions -
* Since I'm not changing the pinion or gears, do I need to take the pinion out?
* Do I need a new pinion crush sleeve (I have to set the backlash)?
* Will I need shims? I expect not since I'm using the same gears

Summary of procedures - I think the procedures will be as follows:
1. remove diff from vehicle
2. mark and remove bolts for the spanner
3. mark and remove bolts holding down the caps
4. remove stock differential unit
5. install OSG diff unit
6. re-install spanners and bolts - line up with marking
7. re-install caps and bolts - line up with markings
8. follow honda procedures for
- setting the backlash
- gear contact pattern check
- re-installing the remainder of the diff

Special tools -
* Adjustable spanner wrench
* Torque dial wrench (0-75 in-lbs)
* Backlash gauge (0-1" measurement in .001 increments)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:11 PM

if the pinion bearings are fine you can leave them. the bigest thing you need to worry about is back lash and gear mesh. if the balck lash is good and the gear mesh pattern is off pinion depth needs to be changed. you should be ok just replacing the diff with a new one with new bearings makeing sure the bearings are preloaded right and the back lash is ok.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM

if the pinion bearings are fine you can leave them. the bigest thing you need to worry about is back lash and gear mesh. if the balck lash is good and the gear mesh pattern is off pinion depth needs to be changed. you should be ok just replacing the diff with a new one with new bearings makeing sure the bearings are preloaded right and the back lash is ok.