S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Order of modifying a street/track car

Old 03-09-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Mar 9 2005, 03:41 PM
yeah sorry, didn't mean to shit on your thread. just trying to save you and others some $.

Yup! come by. I plan to be putting a passenger seat in soon so I can give rides again.

-Ry
Naw, you were pooping on it at all. The discussion was very informative. I'll be sure to take you up on the offer to check out your car next time
Old 03-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by msm_s2k,Mar 9 2005, 05:14 PM
where is your front wheel?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Mar 9 2005, 07:31 PM
where is your front wheel?
It's on that trailer, don't you see it?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It came off at about 80 MPH on I-80.

Hit something in the road and 3 studs broke and remaing lugs were stripped off the studs as the wheel went flying off.

I seem to have a knack for breaking things.

Sign me up for a ride once you get the passenger seat back in. Highlight of the Laguna trip for me was the ride with Dave ... and I'm sure he was taking it easy on the borrowed car.

Looks like the Miller Motorsports Park will open in Utah in August of this year. Highlights of the road track are:
1. A 3,500 foot main straight which should allow for speeds of 200 mph by some categories of race vehicles.

2. A fast sweeper section after the main straight which will be unique in America and will rate amongst the fastest and most challenging corners in the country.

3. Heavily banked, 50 foot wide final turn onto the straight which completes a sequence of sweeping
Old 03-09-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Mar 9 2005, 08:49 PM
It's on that trailer, don't you see it?
LOL ... it's actually on the flatbed right in front of the car.

Here's a shot taken by a guy in an RX8 and posted in their forum when my tranny broke in San Mateo. I have plenty of other tow truck pics if you're interested.

Oh and SVT,
1. Brake pads
2. Race wheels/tires
3. Tire trailer

Best step-by-step directions for changing brake pads are on reverend's website. Meant to thank him for that at Laguana ... thanks Rev for the excellent write up!
http://reverendsgarage.net/index.php?conte.../brake_pads.php
Old 03-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Former Moderator

Must haves:
Brake fluid then pads.
Tools, jack, etc

Nice to haves:
CG-Lock! (still the best 35 bucks I've ever spent on my car!)
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256242
Race Tires
Trailer

The best advice I can give you is stay away from Rylan (Krazik), JP, Richard, Drew, Dave K, Will, John, Aaron, other John, and the rest of the SV group (I would like to name everyone but the list would go on forever)
They will only make you want to attend more events and spend more money and fall further and further into this money pit known as racing.
Hehe really though make it out to many events as you possibly can with the afformentioned people. They are all beyond helpful and a great group to be around.

I also suggest you use Go Fast Lab for all your go fast purchases. They are one of the best companies in the business with a very knowledgeable staff that has tons of experiance under their belts. I've bought numerous products from JP and Ry and they have been a pleasure to deal with each and everytime.

This isn't a car mod or anything but one thing I feel should be mentioned is a nice helmet your comfortable in. It doesn't have to be the most expensive helmet or anything but make sure you get one that meets or exceeds the specs of the group your running with and spend the time to find one that fits you right and your going to be comfortable wearing for at least a half an hour at a time.

Side Note: Ry I htink I'm first in line for the ride. You owe it to me from that time you lost your wheel in Pharump!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Mar 9 2005, 03:15 PM
The fan is not doing anything for you on the track. You get way more than enough ram air flow through your radiator, unless you have modified your front air inlet. [edit: I meant, way more than enough to overpower any contribution from the fan. If you are overheating, then obviously it is not "way more than enough" in an absolute sense. But the fan won't be doing diddly either way.]

The thermostat is wide open on the track anyway -- how much wider can you get than wide open?

I don't know anything about the radiator cap, but I always seem to have the same amount of fluid before and after a track day, so what's the connection between this and slipping on fluid?
I won't beat this dead horse to unrecognizable road kill so I will just finish up with this.

I know the fan is not doing much on the track and I know the thermostat is wide open. The radiator cap as I said before changes the pressure in the system, and the change in atmospheric pressure raises the boiling point thus helping to raise the threshold before a boil over. Each one of the three components works as a system to help cool the engine off faster and to a lower temp. There is more to life than just being on the track, how about those times when the track gets black flagged and you are sitting on pit road, sitting still melting with zero airflow, or when I pull off the track after an hour of driving and get stuck at a long signal light on my way down to fill up the tank again.

It is okay we don
Old 03-10-2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by SVT_Chia,Mar 9 2005, 04:43 PM
Wow, I really didn't mean to start an argument.
No worries mate, it happens from time to time here and as far as I'm concerned it is a healthy thing. We all can't agree and a little controversy is good, it allows new people to read a variety of points of view so they themselves can decide the path that is best for them.

Enjoy your track events; the S2000 only needs a very little bit of tweaking to be a strong solid dependable fast and fun track car.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Ok, since this thread has been good to me so far... I've heard some people say I should get race tires. Namely 4/32nd shaved Toyo RA-1's. Sounds good to me, but I've also heard that I should use street tires for a while to help me learn to drive faster rather than rely on the tires to mask my errors. So, since I'll need new tires soon should I go for the RA-1's for my stock wheels (have aftermarket for street use) or get a street tire? Street tire suggestions if you recommend going that route? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 AM

I would say stick to street tires for now. OEM S02's are fine. Get a few events under your belt before you switch to race tires.

Quick Reply: Order of modifying a street/track car