S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Order of modifying a street/track car

Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT_Chia,Mar 8 2005, 10:23 PM
Hey everyone. I just ran my first track down last Sunday @ California Speedway. I can't even begin to describe how great a time I had. I know that the best advise I could receive is "driving instruction" would be the best way to go faster and I completely agree. I'm looking into that. But what about the car? What are some of the first things usually done to a street/track car. I say street/track because I don't have the $$$ or desire to trailer. I want to get it street legal (as possible ) Is it brakes first? Tires? Supercharger last? If you're one of those blazing fast guys I envied this past weekend, how did you start (with your car mods)? Thanks
I'm six months ahead of you on this ride; I took my first driving school last August, and was immediately hooked. Here's my lessons learned:

Get better brake pads and DOT 4 fluid. This will be a must very soon, and it is better and safer to do it now. I've just finished my fifth HPDE, and I'm now switching to full race pads; even the compromise pads die quickly, although they were fine until now.

Get a shop manual, and take advantage of the DIY info on this site (TheReverend has some very good stuff on brakes). Changing brake pads is a hassle the first time, but gets pretty easy quickly.

Get Modifry's shift warning beeper--it's easy to install, and now I never have to look at my dash except to make sure I'm not downshifting too soon. I think that this is a gem of a mod. I can keep it at 7900 rpm without bouncing off the rev limiter, without looking at the tach.

Beyond this, think carefully about how much money you have, and what you are trying to accomplish. For a long time, the limiting factor will be your driving skill, not your equipment (with the exception of brakes, IMO). It's a good point also to think about autocross. I want to stay stock for autocross, so that limits what I can do. I have bought an extra set of wheels for track tires, but that was to save the hassle of driving on chewed-up street tires in wet Seattle.

Don't get a supercharger for a long time. This is a lot of car as it is, and it will take you a long time before your driving is beyond the capabilities of this car. A supercharger will make you go faster, but your driving won't be at the point for a while where you really can take advantage of that, and it could get you in trouble very easily.

And, most important of all, get a lot of instruction. There's a lot to learn, both from a safety factor and in technique, and it's much better to be taught.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Mar 9 2005, 12:23 PM
even the compromise pads die quickly, although they were fine until now.
Get prepared for the race pads to die quickly too, but to give you more performance and consistency as they do. Brake ducting will help with pad life, somewhat. But pads are consumables.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 9 2005, 01:08 PM
I suspect it has more to do with your attitude than the logic...
Yeah my attitude and not your stuborness? How are those ra1s?

You have a proven track record of ignoring what the serious track junkies say. Thats fine its your car but don't go wasting other people's money.

Read what Mike G wrote, he summed it up nicely.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I really didn't mean to start an argument. I've got some Cobalt GT pads on (back)order. I'm hoping to get my girlfriend and her brother out driving in the next. Thanks for all the great advise. I really appreciate it and look forward to the next track day.

Krazik, you've got the silver crazy gutted S2000 right? I'll be sure to come up and bug you next time. Go fast crackpipe Rehab is for quitters
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find brake ducts to be necessary. I had them and took them off. Never have any problems with brakes. Have stock lines also. I'd venture to say that if you have problems with full race pads and fluid you are probably over-using the brakes.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Mar 9 2005, 01:55 PM
I don't find brake ducts to be necessary. I had them and took them off. Never have any problems with brakes. Have stock lines also. I'd venture to say that if you have problems with full race pads and fluid you are probably over-using the brakes.
I put the SS brake hoses on over the winter. I was surprised that I was able to immediately feel the difference. In fact, I reflushed the brake fluid because I thought I had screwed something up! I can't say they have made a big difference (yet another uncontrolled experiment), but they do have a different feel to them. I had done about 20 track days before putting them on, so obviously they are not necessary.

Same story with brake ducting. I have installed the brake ducting mostly to try and improve pad and rotor life, not to solve any on-track braking defficiency.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Mar 9 2005, 02:55 PM
maybe thats why you've gotten so fast? you just never brake?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Mar 9 2005, 02:33 PM
maybe thats why you've gotten so fast? you just never brake?
learned this from karting at K1.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SVT_Chia,Mar 9 2005, 02:43 PM
Krazik, you've got the silver crazy gutted S2000 right? I'll be sure to come up and bug you next time. Go fast crackpipe Rehab is for quitters
yeah sorry, didn't mean to shit on your thread. just trying to save you and others some $.

Yup! come by. I plan to be putting a passenger seat in soon so I can give rides again.

-Ry
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM

Brake pads

Quite a few people told me I'd be fine for the first season or so on stock pads. To the floor brake fade during my first session at my second event. Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately, I already had a set of the cobalt race pads (damn easy to swap). Swapped them in and haven't had any problems sense.

A suggestion that I followed is to get a small (48") harbor freight trailer to tow race wheels and tires behind the S2000. Trailer can be had for about $150 to $200 ... there are a lot of them available used from auto-x guys. I picked up a used one complete with storage box, spare wheels, etc for $100.

Like many I went for the x-brace. I'm definitely still a nub at the track, but I've driven the car with and without the x-brace ... couldn't tell the difference. I have a Comptech x-brace I'll sell you.

Only picture I have of the trailer is on the back of a flatbed after a breakdown.

Quick Reply: Order of modifying a street/track car